IJskonijn

Decent starter video camera with external control/indication?

My profile is filled in and up-to-date.

With that out of the way, I'm not a videographer yet. I want to start doing it, and at the moment I only want to film CRW outside and occasional hop & pop exits. My freefall skills are laughable (my last jump with a delay longer than 5 seconds was half a year ago, second-to-last such jump was probably two years ago. I've made ~130 jumps in the past 12 months), so I'm not even going to try freefall video work. I already have a date with my chief instructor lined up to chat about cameras and safety and whatever's related, plus I've been talking to an experienced CRW videographer (and plan to talk to more such people).

I have recently bought a helmet (cookie MXV) that includes a chincup, cutaway system, ringsight (which I'll remove until I have decided I need it for real) and some mounting spots already drilled. So before I can start, I just have to find a camera. Hence this thread.

What video camera would you recommend for a starting videographer (budget ~€300) that should be good enough to film outside CRW formations with? Ideally, I want some form of external control and/or indication (hypeye or the like) to attach to it. So related to that, since Sony removed their AV/R protocol from newer versions of their cameras, what are my options for buying a new camcorder that includes the ability to attach indication leds to it? I've also been thinking that I might want a camera with a fairly narrow angle lens, to allow me to keep my distance from a formation (and its burble) while still having it nicely fill the field of view. Any experienced CRW videographers want to share their opinion/experience in this regard?

Plus, of course, any more advice is very welcome. I've already trawled the forums about lots of different aspects, but couldn't find a recent thread about this specific subject.

And what if I cannot find them secondhand here in Europe? All that I see on eBay are shipped from the US, and I very much dislike buying new when I am not able to test it beforehand, especially if there is a big shipping fee involved as well...

What new camera with external support and a fairly narrow field of view would be a good alternative? Unfortunately, a hero 4 is a tad bit on the expensive side considering my budget.

I am recording most of my freel Videos with the Sony HDR-AZ1. It's small, light, great Videos and you can buy it with the remote, so you can actually see if it's filming or not ;)

Now it got quite cheaper the last few month so it should fit you Budget but it's "just" an actioncam witout zoom and an wide angle, so you shouldn't be miles away from the other canopies!

On the 25th anniversary of Cypres I saw the Tigers Freefall Parachute Display Team of the british Army, they used - if I recall it right - a GoPro 4 for their recordings.

Hi little icerabbit,
I will be replacing my CX105 this winter for a (yet-to-be-released) X3000. Looks like a great camera to me, so maybe that is an option for you (might be over your budget tough), and also: cheap CX105 for sale! ;-)

Think the common European models are the CX115. That's what I still use.

Edit: scrap that. Just did a quick UK ebay search and there was only one CX115 on there... thought they were way more common than that.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

degeneration

Think the common European models are the CX115. That's what I still use..

Its predecessor is the CX105, slightly larger, but otherwise very similar. I (and many others) have been jumping that for years, great video, but no BOSS or larger formats than HD.
Imo still better than GoPro because of its reliability. It has never failed me, wheras my GoPro....well thats another story.