chemist

good first real camera for photos after gopro

what is a good first cam to get when you're looking to step up to something more pro than a gopro?

I've been looking at the sony a5100 16-50mm. I'd like to be able to shoot between tandems and freefly formations

I'd also like to be able to get shots of hop n pops with enough zoom that you can see the buildings and roads on the ground nicely. Is 50mm enough for that or does quality of detail on the ground more a factor of megapixel as opposed to zoom?

The A5100 is a good choice. I hear it is getting hard to find now though (long back orders).

Light weight, amazing autofocus, APS-C sensor size, 6 frames a second and a side card load.... it's tough not to like it. The lens selection isn't as strong as the canons, but esp for a first setup it is more than adequate.

The kit lens really isn't bad at all. I knew a few people who use it for tandems (I like the 20mm prime myself). I use it now and then. Its a little slow at 3.5, but not bad. One thing to remember is that it's fly by wire, so you have to set the zoom each time it turns on or wakes up. It won't remember that you had it zoomed to a specific setting and goes back to 16mm.

50mm is a pretty good zoom on a crop camera, but it isn't a "reach out and touch someone" telephoto. The good news is you can buy other lenses if you decide you have other specialty needs.

What are you shooting for video? I upgraded from a dual gopro setup to a gopro with an a5100. I'm not a fan of the kit lens, and I found that a 16mm pancake lens with the ultra wide adapter matched up to the gopro nicely (and seemed like a good setup for tandems.) I however decided I rather just shoot freefly so I have an a5100 with a 20mm pancake lens next to an ax53.

The 20mm prime has a hood that comes with it that offers great protection and doesn't cost you any image quality. Small and low profile. I know some people want a 100% fov match from video to stills...but I don't think its that critical. For me the 20mm gives a great full field of view shot of a tandem from about 3-4 feet out. If the ulta wide gets the picture you are looking for, then you are doing the right thing!

boardumb

What are you shooting for video? I upgraded from a dual gopro setup to a gopro with an a5100. I'm not a fan of the kit lens, and I found that a 16mm pancake lens with the ultra wide adapter matched up to the gopro nicely (and seemed like a good setup for tandems.) I however decided I rather just shoot freefly so I have an a5100 with a 20mm pancake lens next to an ax53.

Nice! I currently have 2 go pros for tandems and switching to GoPro + plus a5100 for tandem stills. And I want to shoot Freefly formations with ax53, the tonfly I got though doesn't hold both ax53 and a5100 at the same time unfortunately. I currently have a fuel so I could probably add the dual top mount which would probably hold a5100 and ax53 at the same time if need be.

Do you find a ring sight is mandatory for flat top mounted stills/video? This is because there is quite a large difference in the angle of my GoPro I have between belly/tandem and Freefly so I have no idea how I will be getting a center shot with a top mount camera that does not tilt up or down to adjust angle!!! Gonna have to start using my neck!

Here is my setup with the a5100 and ax53. It's worth deciding though before investing in the dual top mount how much difference in weight there is between a cookie fuel with the top mount and a flat top helmet. The helmet itself is actually pretty heavy, and now with the a5100 and ax53 it's definitely noticeable.

Also, if you noticed in the picture how much of an overhang there is on the a5100. I'm using some instamorph to create a bridge and am still trying to figure out the best way to mount it (industrial low profile velcro, bolt?)

I haven't added a ring sight yet due to the snag hazard and am still getting comfortable just flying the helmet, being conscious of snags, and being out of the way of everyone else.