photognat

Sony X3000 action cam with BOSS!

The camera creates its own access point. Sony's wifi app is pretty good but I've only used it for photos, for videos I believe you can preview them but I don't think wifi is a good option for downloading the full video if you're shooting 4k or 1080/120p.

jrodrod

Has this thing taken over new camera purchases or are people still getting GoPro for the form factor (ie chin mount) / inertia?

Through handicam alone GoPro's will have inertial. These bullet style camera don't work well and handicam cameras.

I would get one for outside video, but the DZ editor is also editing footage from handicam GoPro video and I don't want to mix footage types.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Are many people using this?
Anyone have an opinion on the footage compared to that of the GoPro 5?
I've hardly heard anything on the stabilisation of the GoPro 5 but I'm guessing it's not as good as the Sony.

The mounting options don't bother me, I'm only interested in the quality of the footage and stabilisation.

I am thinking of getting one soon-ish now that prices have dropped a bit.

A thing to note is that sony has optical stabilization and the gopro has software stabilization. What that means in real terms is that the gopro crops the image to stabilize it. If you shoot the gopro at max resolution there is nothing left to crop and stabilization is not available.

I use 2, mainly for fs4 competition and funjumps.
Very happy with the footage and battery life (much more than 10 jumps).

Also got the new HypeEye, altough it worked fine at first, the connector is no success, so I stopped using it.

Stabilisation is much better in Sony than in Gopro5, but I've only seen a couple of side by side videos. I have some Sony and Gopro 4 black side by side videos, and the video quality is about the same, Sony being slightly better.
http://www.prostipad.si

The stabilisation modes of the X3000 are not documented very well in the manual.

The choices are Off, Standard and Active.
To me it looks like the Standard setting is the normal steadyshot: for vibrations and shaky hands.
The Active mode is pretty amazing, it also does a nice job at smoothing out pans and tilts. If you suddenly turn the camera, you see the image lagging behind and then slow down to the new camera position.

Can't find it now, but I read somewhere that Active does a little cropping; I suppose it does a combo of optical and electronic stabilisation?

I like mine but I have found that of the 2 stabilisation modes the less stable one is the better, the more active stabilisation produces wobbling and ripples in the footage when in freefall.

Footage quality is excellent.

GPS tool is pretty cool but if you want data a Flysight is still heaps better.

The editing software Sony made for it is a bit unstable.

johnmatrix

I like mine but I have found that of the 2 stabilisation modes the less stable one is the better, the more active stabilisation produces wobbling and ripples in the footage when in freefall.

Footage quality is excellent.

GPS tool is pretty cool but if you want data a Flysight is still heaps better.

The editing software Sony made for it is a bit unstable.

try slowing the shutter speed of the camera to get rid of the ripple. I use a neutral density filter in front of the lens. If it is "shutter roll" the filter will fix it.