photognat

Sony X3000 action cam with BOSS!

degeneration

So unless the BOSS is on always, seems strange you can't toggle it on/off with the old remote.

Probably you would need some kind of firmware update and it should work.
But so far, my experience with Sony and their software upgrades, is very bad. It seems that they do not invest so much in developing software. Instead, they just put out new model every 6 months (more money for them).
IMO they could have been better competitor for GoPro if they just wrote the software better to utilize existing camera hardware.
For instance, my AS200 takes timelapse photos by screen grabbing video frames (which is HD res only, and yes it`s a feature, not a bug) but at the same time stills are taken at ~9MP. GoPro has it since Mk_1. Go figure...
dudeist skydiver #42

Hey guys, I just got the X3000 and took it for a few test jumps last weekend. Just a few belly jumps to stay current over the winter here in Wisconsin. Figured you guys would want to see how it looks in the sky! I'm super happy with how smooth everything looks. The camera was mounted on top of my g3 with a sticky mount, and it was in the waterproof case it comes with. My buddy I was with shook me around a little bit to see how stable it would look. I'm going to get a GoPro mounted on my camera helmet alongside this x3000 so I can do a side by side comparison next time I jump.

This is 1080p 60fps raw footage with zero editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFiioE8Gsy8&feature=youtu.be

I also filmed a jump in 4k but I don't have the software to even open the file for it. If I figure it out I'll make sure to post it.

Thank you Sean, that looks really good and smooth. Stabilizer works great. Thinking about ditching my Hero4. TurnedOn doesn't support Hero5 anyway and Trunk is working on a Sony TurnedOn (Cameye reloaded).

Will we all go to Sony now? Is GoPro loosing it's Skydiver game? I would guess so...

Well I can can tell you they've lost me for sure. Alright I figured out 4K! Heads up for everyone that gets one, you have to plug the actual camera into the computer with a USB cable (I think just the first time) and upload the videos to sonys action camera movie maker program. The program is actually really nice, and it's free! This is 4K raw zero editing... don't mind me falling out of the formation.... and tripping over my own feet landing :S:)

https://youtu.be/hywlhfPDoLs

I Played a little bit with Sonys GPS track info last night too. Kind of cool to see how long you actually carry the forward speed from leaving the plane. I'll make a raw video with the track info on it when I get home tonight.

Lots of "jello" in the background on the second video... Much more than in the first one.
I had similar issues with Sony AZ1 with stabilization turned ON.
Currently, on AS200, "jello" is almost non-existant, with or without stabilization.
Was anything different on this jump?
dudeist skydiver #42

As far as I know, the only thing I changed was out of 1080p and into 4k. I haven't played with the stabilization at all so I would assume it came with it ON, I'll try a jump next time with it OFF. Also I downloaded this onto my computer using sonys program and then edited the video shorter and saved it and then uploaded it to youtube instead of pulling it straight off the SD card like the other video, not sure if that would make a difference.

Stick some felt fabric or something soft to tighten up the fit so it doesn't have any play.

I did that (with duct tape) first time I changed helmet setup.
Still, on AZ1 "jello" was visible, on AS200 almost nothing.
dudeist skydiver #42

photognat

Looks like the X3000 is loose inside the waterproof case. Stick some felt fabric or something soft to tighten up the fit so it doesn't have any play. I think that's why there's some wobble during freefall.

It sure doesn't seem like it goes into the case loose. I thought of that before you said anything too though, I'm gonna try it next jump and see if it improves anything in 4k.

Did a small bit of headup and just wanted to show how effective the stabilization of the x3000 is.

The first link has the x3000 shot at 1080p at 120fps (but I dumped it down to 30) so it's a bit softer than normal 1080p.''

The second link was shot side by side with an a5100 and sel20f28 lens, so the focal length is different but it shows how much vibrations there were.

https://vimeo.com/200863699
https://vimeo.com/200864586

Anyone know what settings work best with vimeo, makes my video look even softer :/

Finally got the weather to test mine filming some fs groups at the weekend. Stabilisation seems really good, only jello I got was when spotting with wind on side of helmet. There was some interesting lens effects when looking at the sun on sunset jump (see pink aurora borealis in last video) Otherwise really impressed.

Heres some sample clips filmed in 4K 30fps 100MbPS

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCylKK83-VVvJmklr_xgvMSyDft3A4oVW

photognat

Looks like the X3000 is loose inside the waterproof case. Stick some felt fabric or something soft to tighten up the fit so it doesn't have any play. I think that's why there's some wobble during freefall.

the cam is not shaking anymore than with 1080p, it's just that the chip is not fast enough to deal with 4k and high frequenzy shakes and produces this digital wobble. No amount of felt fabric is going to change that, sadly. Only way to avoid it is to reduce physical helm shakes. Very tight fit and smooth movements could help.

If it weren't for the darn form factor this would be a beautiful gopro killer
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

mircan

Lots of "jello" in the background on the second video... Much more than in the first one.
I had similar issues with Sony AZ1 with stabilization turned ON.
Currently, on AS200, "jello" is almost non-existant, with or without stabilization.
Was anything different on this jump?

going by the sell sheet the as200 has a 3x image stabilization, compared to the az1 which is 1x

photognat

I had used tape when I first got sony asv cameras and had no success getting rid of the background jello. The wobble in freefall is generally not due to camera fitment. It has to do with exposure settings. I have had asv100 asv200 and az1, they all do the same thing. After inserting a 2 f/stop gel inside the lens cover all jello effect is gone.

jtiflyer

After inserting a 2 f/stop gel inside the lens cover all jello effect is gone.

Mind explaining more about f/stop gel? Is it covering the lens?

Do you guys find the live remote necessary? It's very pricey and isn't sold separately from the X3000.

I don't have the live remote and have been fine without it. I however dont use the waterproof case but purchased the separate lens protector since you can't see the front recording light with it on. Hypoxic should be releasing the new hype eye soon that works with the x3000 and many other of the new Sony cameras/camcorders. I however don't believe it's compatible with the waterproof case either.