Blahr

XL Cloud

Really? I thought it was 240.
The Cruiselite was 220, right?

WTF happened to Paraflight?:P

t

I think that there was two sizes. The larger one (260sq/ft) was the XL. I probably should know this since my first canopy was an XL, but it's been a long time.

never pull low......unless you are

WTF happened to Paraflight?

They now only make stuff for the military and such. You can still find their website.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Cruiselite = 220 sq ft
Strato Cloud Delta = 240 sq ft
Cruiselite XL = 245 sq ft
XL Cloud = 260 sq ft

Para Flite got out of the sport market years ago. They continued to build the Swift Plus reserve for a while, but are now completely military oriented in their manufacture.

I had a lot of jumps on the Cruiselite XL, Delta Cloud, and XL Cloud back in the day. You still see some for sale now and again.
Arrive Safely

John

Cruiselite = 220 sq ft
Strato Cloud Delta = 240 sq ft
Cruiselite XL = 245 sq ft
XL Cloud = 260 sq ft

Para Flite got out of the sport market years ago. They continued to build the Swift Plus reserve for a while, but are now completely military oriented in their manufacture.

I had a lot of jumps on the Cruiselite XL, Delta Cloud, and XL Cloud back in the day. You still see some for sale now and again.

Didn't Cruiselite also have a smaller canopy? The Cruiselite Beta or something like that?

never pull low......unless you are

There was a canopy called a "Cruisair" but I don't know what the sq ft was.

The first canopy I owned! The Cruisair was made of 1.25 oz fabric, a departure from the Strato-Cloud/Strato-Star 1.55 oz fabric. Para-Flite had not yet started making canopies from F-111. It came without crossports, and it tended to open with end cell closure. I had about 100 jumps when I cut the crossports and did the stabilizer mod myself, removing the stabilizer fabric between the A and B lines.

The Cruisair was advertised as 200 square feet, but IIRC the Pegasus was an almost exact copy (but made from F-111 and with improved line trim) and was advertised as 220 square feet. There was no standard measuring protocol at that time.

The Cruislite was the F-111 version of the Cruisair. I think they were the same size, with Para-Flite choosing to use their competition's measurement method for the Cruislite, hence the 220 square foot size.

Mark

If you want t get picky, the 200 square foot, 7-cell Cruiseair came first - in the late 1970s.
Then Django built a similar canopy - circa 1980 - with lighter weight (F-111) fabric and lighter construction methods (I-Beam rib seams). The simplified construction methods allowed the canopy to spread more so Django's Pegasus ended up with about 220 square feet.
In 1981 Para-Flite introduced the 220 square foot Cruiselite, which was a direct competitor for Django's Pegasus.
Para-Flite eventually sued Django into bankruptsy over patent infringement.
Django re-opened as Glide Path, which eventually morphed into Glide Path International.

What do you mean about there being no standardized canopy measurement method in the early 1980s? PIA tried to introduce a standardized measuring method, but few manufacturers use it, so in the long run customers are still forced to wade through a bewildering array of numbers written by marketing managers.

WTF happened to Paraflight?

They now only make stuff for the military and such. You can still find their website.

It's kinda sad, time was when Para Flite was the uncontested numero uno canopy maker, they "squared away sport parachuting" (from an old Strato Star ad). Their Safety Flyer was the first square reserve on the market, in '78. Their quality control wasn't always the greates, some of their canopies would start tearing out at the ribs. And then people complained about canopies not flaring well. They tried a triple riser 9 cell design for the nineties, the "Evolution", but the Sabre crushed it. How the mighty can rise and fall...

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Really? I thought it was 240.
The Cruiselite was 220, right?

WTF happened to Paraflight?:P

t

They are now owned by Airborne Systems, along with Irvin and just recently won the ATAPS contract to replace the US military static line system.
http://www.paraflite.com/
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals