jf951

GrellFab GoPro Mount Construction

hopefully one of you can help me out with this.
I'm looking at the GrellFab mounts for my G3 but from what little i've seen of them leads me to questioning their construction quality. the one i briefly saw looked like it was made from a shotty 3D print job.

is this actually the case or do they have some durability to them?

Thx j
Jump more, Bitch less.

I have two different models (different profiles). They sell one that will house just the GoPro. To me, that is a cheapest looking and it is in price. That one basically holds the camera. I have one with the mount on the back so you can take the GoPro camera case, minus the back door and use it. Take a look at my set up.
Airborne
Blue Skies, No Wind
Feet and Knees Together

I showed mine for some friends who have 3d printing experience and they told me that the printing quality was questionable. Although, I have been happily using it for 300+ jumps, and it has worked very reliably. It takes a few times to get used to mounting it quickly, but just like packing you get good at it and can do it fast.

For what it's worth...

I work with 3d printing very frequently. There are a number of different technologies out there, each with very different characteristics. From what I've seen, the Grellfab mounts are made on FDM machines (basically, squeezing molten plastic filament through a tube). Which is great for low-res modeling and prototyping, but it's not that tough or durable. Build layers can separate, stress fractures occur easily, and so on. FDM isn't terrible if you have large build features and build with nylon (vs ABS or PLA, which are FAR less tough), but still not something I'd trust a $500 camera with.

Personally, I think the GrellFab design isn't inherently bad, but they should be building their parts with SLS (selective laser sintering, typically nylon). Nylon SLS parts are extremely durable compared to FDM parts, but they require a professional-grade printer instead of a $500 FDM printer that you can build yourself.