HighTeckRedNeck

Sony Multi Connector to 2.5mm Conversion

Hey Guys,

So I recently bought a Sony A6000 to use for stills. Then I started looking into bite switches and found out that there isn't a bite switch for the Sony. There are some tongue and blow switches that I found, but even they are way overpriced compared to the 2.5mm versions. If you wanted a bite switch, you would have to buy a 2.5mm and then a $80 Sony multi to 2.5mm conversion cable.

So I made my own using a standard 2.5mm bite switch and a $2 cable off Ebay. (see attached image)

Here is what I did.

Open ebay, search for "2.5mm-S2 Remote Control Shutter" sort by price, buy cheapest cable
Cut the 2.5mm jacks of both the bite switch and cable, and strip the wires so you have couple inches of the wires sticking out and 1/2 inch of exposed wire.

This was the color scheme for me. Yours may differ.
loose wire to green
Red to Red
And white to blue.
(see attached image)

Twist ends together, turn camera on, bite switch to test.

Once you have tested and confirmed it worked, solder and heat shrink together. It is also nice, because you can make the cable the perfect length and don't need to have extra cable and an adapter inside your helmet lining.

Hopefully this helps a few of you. Now I couldn't find any multi connections with a 90, but I ordered a second cable now, and I'm going to attempt to cut the rubber off of the connector and add my own 90 using heat wrap. That is what one of the switch makes is doing, so I figured I might as well give it a try as well.

I may be one of the makers your are referring to in there, but if not, I make a 2.5mm conversion cable (at a considerably lower price than $80 though! Nearer $22 depending on exchange rates) with a right angle connector on the multi-terminal end (my site - www.skyswitches.com)

I use a thermosetting plastic for the right angle connector, so it sets rock solid with no need for shrink wrap over the connector. Can mould to whatever shape, angle, orientation you want, but have relatively limited working time before it sets.

I also make the switches, but alas tongue only not bite.

If you are able to DIY it, then it will most likely always be cheaper than buying from someone else! Where the extra may be worth it for some though is if you think you might make a mess of it, or don't have the wire strippers and soldering station. For the stuff I sell, person pays the cost, if I make a mistake, mess up a connector, that cost is swallowed by me, still costs the same to the person, I make a new one, and they'll get one guaranteed to work.

But 100% agree with the purpose of what you're saying. I only started making adaptors/switches because of the lack of camera support available, and because of what I thought was too much cost for these things! So I've tried to make mine more affordable for people who don't want to go the DIY route.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Yes, I actually looked at your switches, they were highly recommended to me from a couple different jumpers. I was just stuck on getting a bite switch. I did also notice your adapter, and I would have ordered one if my attempted DIY failed.

I'm just sharing this, so if anyone else is looking for a cheaper DIY option, they can save some time researching and go with one they know will work.

Thanks for the write-up! I had a mangled adapter that I tested this out on yesterday, and it worked like a charm :). My process was slightly different:

--I already had a multi-connecter to 2.5mm cable that had a broken port.
--I cut off the good 2.5mm female end, and exposed the wires (red, black, green, white.)
--I bought a cheap cable at a local photo store, which was a multi-connector to 2.5mm male cable for ~$8 (didn't want to wait for eBay as OP directed above, since I have tandems this weekend.)
--I cut off the multi-connector end of this and exposed the wires (red, white, yellow.)

--I spliced as follows:
--red to red
--white to white
--green to yellow
--I simply left the black wire alone

The final product is a cable that as a multi-connector port on one end, and a 2.5mm female port on the other. This way, I can connect any standard bite/tongue/blow switch that I want without having to re-splice again.

I can take pics later tonight if anyone wants to see. Thanks again HighTechRedNeck!