Iver

Choosing a camera setup

I have been doing a lot of reaserch lately into what camerasetup i want to go for. Lacking a mentor or experienced cameraflyer to ask for advice i was hopping some of you guys can help me:)
I have figured out that i am most interested in shooting video. I also want to be able to use the gear for tandems later on this year.

I am thinking about a tonfly x2 or x3 and mounting a gopro hero 4 silver up front and a camcorder on top. That way i can shoot video on the camcorder and 4k stills with the gopro(That way i can crop to 1080 an get closer images if needed)
Is this a realistic plan? or is it better to go for a dslr or mirorless on top for filming an photos and a gopro just for filming?
I have purchased a newtonsight i intend to mount and am considering buying a hypeye or equvelant(If that is necisery at all?)

The thin i am most unsure about is a. if its possible to mount these cameras on an x2(gopro getting in the way of camcorder?) and b. What camcorder to get?

I have been doing a lot of reaserch and i wolud love to get some opinions of what to choose.

I have been looking at the new sony range with boss. somthing like the PJ620. 4k would be nice but i think is way out of my pricerange for a first time camcorder. would love to get som opinions, sample footage, worklflow for tandem and all other advice people have!

Rock on!
Iver

Iver

Is this a realistic plan?

There are a lot of valid possibilities right now. The 2016 standard depends completely on where you are jumping.

I'd go talk to the DZO where you want to work. Maybe you'll get some direct input about what they expect their paid videographers to be using, or maybe they'll point you to a head video person for that info.

Some places would be happy with you using two GoPro 2s for photo and video, while other DZs would require a DSLR plus a camcorder with image stabilization. That's why I say talk to the local DZO first. Whatever you decide, welcome to the world of video in the sky :)

I wouldnt say a hypeye is compulsory but it is a very handy tool to have, especially when starting out with camera flying. There is no worse feeling than to realise after a jump the camera was never on record. You will have more important (safety checks) things to do prior to exit than to get carried away with a camera that you are not sure if its recording or not. With a Hypeye or similar indicator you know what the camera's status are.
I once had a jump where i was out the door already and in the cam slot when i saw the cam was still on standby. I quickly pressed the record button and safe myself from embarresment.