AirBanger15

New way to film your Swooping

I was checking out some training tips on Youtube the other day when I was hit by this ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1t_xJZ9xyA I was extremely interested in finding something that can give me that perspective angle automatically.

I went to the website (www.soloshot.com) to do more research. It says that it has a 2,000ft. tracking radius, so it would be perfect to train with on some swooping techniques.

Was curious if anyone has used SOLOSHOT before? and or if anyone has anymore info on it pertaining to Skydiving?

I know someone who'd tried the first version and said it was way too slow in terms of tracking. The Solo2 is meant to be a lot faster so, maybe it'll be better but I haven't heard anyone's personal experience of this yet. I was tempted to buy one for this reason but, it's a lot of cash to throw around.

There was a guy at my DZ with the first generation last year, and he did not have any luck with it for swooping. As I remember, he was getting some sort of upgrade (new unit or maybe just firmware?) to make it work better.

I don't remember seeing or hearing any results.

danielcroft

***I have a 3 pre-ordered. When They start shipping I'll post some swoop vids (not of me). It seems like it may work we'll see.

Do you have a youtube/vimeo channel I can follow? I'm really interested to see what the resulting video looks like.

No you tube channel but I will forward you some vids when it comes in and I have a few. I talked with the Soloshot folks about its specs and it sounds like it will work base rotation speed is 80 degrees a second so I'm planning on setting it back a bit and try to work on the auto zoom.

There is a good swooper at the local DZ that I plan on using to test it. For me I hope to be able to use it to work on improving my mechanics.

I'll let you know when I get it.
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

That'd be great. When the announced the new one, I was part way through the order before I decided to wait on results. One of the sales points for the upgrade is the rotation speed but, you definitely need to have the camera set back and with one of their cameras to allow zooming. Look forward to seeing what you get. I've been thinking about getting one to get outside video of myself swooping for "training" purposes so I'm going to hope it works. :-)

DougH

Do you think the new product as promised would work for landing shot stills?

That has been on my mind and intend on testing on my tandem landings.........whenever they start shipping them.

Seems like the soloshot3 is finally shipping. There are a few reviews out, and the results looks varied. From the very negative skydiver who films his swoops on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z66ZYX8zXu4 to the more positive and somewhat relevant drone tracking on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Co5-NQXcAU.

Are there any other hands on experiences with this device and skydiving?

I pre ordered one and waited almost two years for the release and start of shipments. While waiting and reading the multitude of updates that were sent out, the information was less than what I was expecting. 2000 foot location on the tag was probably workable but then came the 60 second delay on the base actually locating the wearable tag.
In our sport that's an eternity.
I had them refund the order and now I believe that was for the best.
Maybe they will be able to improve sometime in the future.

I took delivery of my SS3 a few weeks ago and have had a chance to try it twice so far.

Trying to capture ground video of my swoop, a LH 630 starting at 1600'. Setting the camera up about 20 yards downrange and off the side of entry gates.

The good: it's picking up my tag right at the initial flare for the swoop at 1600 feet. It's tracking the general path of the swoop.

The bad: It gets ahead of the track to the point where I'm not in frame. So far, have tried "tight" and "medium" telephoto settings.

Upcoming: They have released a new software version that's supposed to improve tracking. I'll be trying this new version along with "wide" telephoto mode to see if I can get the swoop.

I think this has promise if we can get the tracking working just a bit better. If the new update doesn't do the trick, I'll be contacting them to see if there's anything that can be done to optimize for this environment.