hackish

Mokacam - magnets=bad

Someone pointed out a new 4k gopro competitor - Mokacam.

Looks mildly interesting but I did note a "feature" that might be of interest to skydivers and pilots. It comes with some nice fancy magnets so you can stick it to metal items.

This isn't going to necessarily ring any alarms with jumpers but when the pilot starts wondering why the compass is always pointing a someone's helmet it is an issue!

Someone just pointed out magentic riser covers but I think these units are many times stronger and right in-line with the AC compass (depending on the airplane).

-Michael

I can't think it would be an issue. Some loads have dozens of neodymium magnets on them.
Jumpsuit zipper covers have them...
Riser covers have them....
Some stowless bags have them...
edit to add- slider keepers.... the things are everywhere...

As far as I know they have never created any issues, and I can't imagine this little camera having one would cause a problem if it was on someone's helmet.

I think it will only really affect 182 jump ships. I tried waving a similar magnet around inside a 172. At chest level it doesn't seem to do anything but in line with the compass it did make it swing even from about 1.5' away. Since we don't have any 182's I can't sit on the floor to see exactly where a camera helmet sits in relation to the dash but it's something to look at.

-Michael

I have never used a magnetic compass flying jumpers in a 182. Matter of fact I think the last time I used the compass was years ago during my instrument check ride. Its not like flying in IMC.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

My plane is so old it came with an owners manual not a poh.DG to runway heading just prior to take off. VFR regs in the US list a compass in the minimum equipment list but the only check required during 100 hour or annual is that there is a compass correction card for the compass. Flying cross country it could be used to check for presession of the DG but on a 20 minute flight to altitude that isn't necessary. Besides a portable gps or iPhone is much more accurate.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Must be different in different areas. Since we're flying turbines now they all have GPS onboard but the older 182s we used to lease were all mechanical and it wasn't that uncommon for ATC to give vectors especially when commercial traffic on approach to the international airport 5mi to our south was being routed around weather. It's class C to 125.

I still think it's a bad idea to have a helmet full of strong magnets for no good reason. At minimum it's worth making the pilot aware.

-Michael