omerzitelia

SONY a5100 tandem stills lens advice

I like the kit lens for general shooting. The downside is it is fly by wire (assuming the 5100 is the same as the Nex3N). When you turn the camera off, you lose your focal length (that is, if you set it to 30mm, turn the camera off and back on, it will turn back on at 16mm). I can tell pretty closely without even having to look at it...so I use it most of the time for shooting team stuff. It would work ok for tandems too.

For tandems I shoot the 20mm. It's crisp, fast, and really small. 20mm is a good focal length for me and you don't have to worry about setting the zoom.

I think the 16 would be fine too if you fly really close.

It will help to know what video camera and lens you are using. I personally use the A6000 with the kit lens at 16mm and am very pleased. It matches the Sony AS200v with stability on very well. The focus speed is unbelievably fast. If you use the 16mm pancake, you set the focus and leave it as it has no motor to focus the lens. If you like to change distance from the target during the jump for different looks, you really need a lens that can focus on the fly.

If 20mm is wide enough, I'd recommend trying the Sigma 19mm f/2.8. It's an incredible lens for the price ($120-ish used) and it has way better resolution, contrast, colors, and "pop" than the Sony 16mm or 16-50. The 20mm is better than those two but still isn't that great.

Here are a couple shots straight out of the camera with the Sigma.

omerzitelia

I am buying the a5100 the 6000 is a bit pricy. I will use it only for photo. On our DZ we use GoPro for video. I wasn't sure if the autofocus will work properly. This is why I was looking at the 16mm. If use the stock at autofocus I am not sure it will focus good enough.

the 5100 uses the same amazing features as the 6000 for how it focuses. The stock lens produces great images very quickly. If using a go pro then using the stock lens at 16mm is the way I would go. Unless you can find a motorized 16mm, with decent glass.

I got my hands on the 5100 and the 6000 today. Both are really sweet cameras.

Compared to my NEX3n, the 5100 seems better built, but other wise same form factor. The burst rate and auto focus were pretty awesome.

The 6000...man... that thing is crazy fast! on the medium setting it sounded the same as the 5100, but the full 11FPS is insanely fast. I really do think it would be too fast for things like tandem video. I think from door to opening you could blow through 200 pics no problem. Even 300 would be possible if you weren't being careful (that's only about half of the freefall with the shutter down...if the buffer allows it). The focus was really fast and seemed to deal well with panning/movement.

With the overkill speed on the 6000, and bottom door... I think I'll probably pick up a 5100 for next season.

Zlew

I got my hands on the 5100 and the 6000 today. Both are really sweet cameras.

Compared to my NEX3n, the 5100 seems better built, but other wise same form factor. The burst rate and auto focus were pretty awesome.

The 6000...man... that thing is crazy fast! on the medium setting it sounded the same as the 5100, but the full 11FPS is insanely fast. I really do think it would be too fast for things like tandem video. I think from door to opening you could blow through 200 pics no problem. Even 300 would be possible if you weren't being careful (that's only about half of the freefall with the shutter down...if the buffer allows it). The focus was really fast and seemed to deal well with panning/movement.

With the overkill speed on the 6000, and bottom door... I think I'll probably pick up a 5100 for next season.

I will be retiring the A6000 to macro and nature photography, as soon as I can get a A5100.

Hi All,
evidently you didn't know the Sony pancake 16mm... Several of us we been using it here at Empuriabrava for shooting tandems for over 4 years and is perfect for the job. Of course is an autofocus lens...
Its 24mm equivalent, I think is the minimum angle to use, specially alongside a GoPro. It matches our Sony's CX410/430 with boss perfectly.
I don't like the kit lens because it retracts, but is usable if you're in a budget, which shouldn't be the case if you are getting pay for shooting tandem customers.
There's a manual focus 12mm available in several brands. But I like the autofocus because you can get interesting close ups of the passenger with a blurred background.
And of course the crown Sony 10-18, which is expensive but light and very good.
Good times to be a cameraman!

a6000 is now pricing only 50 bucks more than the a5100 or B&H.

If you paired it with a RSS mount that would give quick access to the memory and the battery door.

I already have the RSS clamps so I am leaning towards the extra camera given the really small difference in price for new from a major retailer.

Outside of the 50 dollars is there anything else that makes the 5100 still the better choice?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

My understanding is the sensor and AF in the 5100 and the 6000 are the same. The only advantage I know of is the higher fps. Imo... it is overkill for what we do <6fps al sounds like a machinegun... 11 fps?)and out weighed by the side card access

If you plan to use it outside of skydiving, the A6000 has a viewfinder which may be useful.

The A5100 is smaller than the A6000, which has its obvious mounting on your head benefits.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Yes I will probably be using this for non-freefall use as well.

I think I am leaning towards the a6000. I didn't realize the a5100 only had the screen and no view finder.

I think the major issue is that RRS doesn't appear to have a bracket for the a5100 but they have one for the a6000. I used their clamps on my rebel xsi setup for a number of years and want to keep doing so.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P