peek

Replay XD 1080 Mini short review

http://www.replayxd.com/product/1080-mini/

I have been doing skydiving video and stills for many years but have done less of it in recent years because I just don't like the encumbered feeling I have when wearing a camera helmet. Also, when jumping with students, I have always felt like the camera would distract me.

The Replay XD 1080 Mini is just what I had been waiting for because of its size, simplicity, and pricing. Here are my thoughts on it. This review does not include any technical information because others can report on this better than I can. I have never been much into "specs". I just put cameras on my head and go skydiving.

For $140 you get the camera, several mounts, a memory card, and a USB cable, a very good deal in my opinion. When connected to a computer it is recognized as a USB disk drive.

I mounted it on the right side of a spare Protec helmet using the lowest profile mount, on the flattest place I could find. The mount allows the camera to be rotated at any angle, so I had to experiment with the rotation and make a mark on the mount for repeatability purposes. (I don't think this alignment would be easy to do at the DZ with the camera right out of the box.)

Any snag hazard is extremely low. I do not trust double-sided tape so I included one screw. I had to have it forward a bit so that it did not view any of the helmet. For this reason, (and because it is not extremely wide angle), I needed some kind of sight, because it does not face directly forward. In keeping with my desire for simplicity, I am using a pair of goggles with a mark on it. Close enough.

The neatest feature is that it has a vibration motor, and only 2 buttons, on/off, and record. It vibrates 3 times for "on" and "record", 1 time for "stop recording" and "off". Fantastic, no more asking your friends, "Is it on?"

The modes and controls are minimum because the large majority of the configuration can be changed in a simple text file with a simple text editor on your computer.

So what I have wound up with is a video helmet that I can treat exactly like my normal Protec, with my googles stored up top on a little rubber "foot". Just position the googles, turn on the camera, and start recording. As simple as I can make it.

peek

http://www.replayxd.com/product/1080-mini/

I have been doing skydiving video and stills for many years but have done less of it in recent years because I just don't like the encumbered feeling I have when wearing a camera helmet. Also, when jumping with students, I have always felt like the camera would distract me.

The Replay XD 1080 Mini is just what I had been waiting for because of its size, simplicity, and pricing. Here are my thoughts on it. This review does not include any technical information because others can report on this better than I can. I have never been much into "specs". I just put cameras on my head and go skydiving.

For $140 you get the camera, several mounts, a memory card, and a USB cable, a very good deal in my opinion. When connected to a computer it is recognized as a USB disk drive.

I mounted it on the right side of a spare Protec helmet using the lowest profile mount, on the flattest place I could find. The mount allows the camera to be rotated at any angle, so I had to experiment with the rotation and make a mark on the mount for repeatability purposes. (I don't think this alignment would be easy to do at the DZ with the camera right out of the box.)

Any snag hazard is extremely low. I do not trust double-sided tape so I included one screw. I had to have it forward a bit so that it did not view any of the helmet. For this reason, (and because it is not extremely wide angle), I needed some kind of sight, because it does not face directly forward. In keeping with my desire for simplicity, I am using a pair of goggles with a mark on it. Close enough.

The supplied VHB tape holds just fine whether on a MIG Jet rolling at 600 mph or an Indy car doing 200 mph and requires no screws. VHB also eliminates the need to drill holes.

The neatest feature is that it has a vibration motor, and only 2 buttons, on/off, and record. It vibrates 3 times for "on" and "record", 1 time for "stop recording" and "off". Fantastic, no more asking your friends, "Is it on?"

The modes and controls are minimum because the large majority of the configuration can be changed in a simple text file with a simple text editor on your computer.

This can also be done on an iPhone, Android, or tablet

So what I have wound up with is a video helmet that I can treat exactly like my normal Protec, with my googles stored up top on a little rubber "foot". Just position the googles, turn on the camera, and start recording. As simple as I can make it.

Replay is a US Company, their tech support second to none, and they are built of aluminum, not plastic. Incredibly durable, great picture, low profile...there is a reason I've used them on several commercial shoots, and why they were rated very high in the DZ.com camera shootout.

DSE

The supplied VHB tape holds just fine whether on a MIG Jet rolling at 600 mph or an Indy car doing 200 mph and requires no screws.

Yes, I hear it is very strong stuff. The reason I added the screw is because where I had to place the mount to avoid seeing part of the helmet was not on a very flat place. The edges of the mount stuck up from the helmet. What do we know about how well the tape works for this kind of situation? I can't say that I know a lot about it.

This can also be done on an iPhone, Android, or tablet

Very good then. I don't have a mobile device like that so I didn't know. This camera's setup is looking more attractive all the time.

Skydivesg

How does this compare to the AS 100?

And is it only 120 fov? No 170fov?

It doesn't. At all. But...it's nearly 3X smaller, so has some good benefit in some situations, not to mention the price. I wouldn't drive a car over the AS100 either, but have done so with the Replay.