scotts

Coversion From Tape to Micro Card

Idk but that's a good question. At a guess 4 gigs should be way more than an old school 60 minute tape I think.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

Idk but that's a good question. At a guess 4 gigs should be way more than an old school 60 minute tape I think.

You are so right. A 1 gig card will give me 2hrs 50mins in SP. In LP it gives 11hrs 22mins.

Lucky for me I have a 2 GB card. That's rated at 5hrs 41 mins.:D

I apologize for asking this question as I should've RTFM. Problem is, I can't find it. I found it on the web, where I got my answer. [:/]

DSE

It depends on which camera you get, and whether or not it has variable bitrates.
An HDV tape used 13GB per hour. An AVCHD @ 16Mbps is about 9GB, depending on content.

Unless I'm mistaken, those numbers you posted don't correlate to my HC-36. It's probably 10 years old, and the word "bitrate" was probably nowhere near as common as it is today.

DSE

The HC 36 is a DV camera.
DV is 12.6GB per hour (13GB)

Bitrate isn't a conversation in DV, as it is 25Mbps (which is why it was known as DV25)

Thanks DSE. I had no idea, even using the online manual. Does this mean I'll still be better off using a 60 minute tape vs a 2gb stick?

ps I have Laci at the DZ if need be

scotts

***The HC 36 is a DV camera.

Bitrate isn't a conversation in DV, as it is 25Mbps (which is why it was known as DV25)

Thanks DSE. I had no idea, even using the online manual. Does this mean I'll still be better off using a 60 minute tape vs a 2gb stick?

You're mixing a few "metaphors" here. ;)

Let's start with the premise that tape is dead. Period. Over. Gone. You're currently shooting DV which is not only dead, it's rotted and decomposed in its grave of about 8 years ago. Kudos for keeping it breathing this long. :P

Next...modern cameras shoot a variety of "bitrates." This is how much data is written to the card every second. Frankly, you needn't worry too much about bitrate, but the way you phrased your original question, I answered with a technical answer.
So...

Own an 8GB stick. That'll give you slightly over an hour of storage space with any of the standard modern cameras.

Just be sure to dump your video to the Laci at the end of the day, and be sure to reformat your card in the camera at the beginning of each day.
Or be like most people and have multiple cards, and forget which card you used on which day and confuse yourself from time to time.:D

DSE

******The HC 36 is a DV camera.

You're mixing a few "metaphors" here. ;)

Let's start with the premise that tape is dead. Period. Over. Gone. You're currently shooting DV which is not only dead, it's rotted and decomposed in its grave of about 8 years ago. Kudos for keeping it breathing this long. :P

Next...modern cameras shoot a variety of "bitrates." This is how much data is written to the card every second. Frankly, you needn't worry too much about bitrate, but the way you phrased your original question, I answered with a technical answer.
So...

Own an 8GB stick. That'll give you slightly over an hour of storage space with any of the standard modern cameras.

Just be sure to dump your video to the Laci at the end of the day, and be sure to reformat your card in the camera at the beginning of each day.
Or be like most people and have multiple cards, and forget which card you used on which day and confuse yourself from time to time.:D

Tape is dead? That can't be............I still have 10 or more that have never been used. >:( And the last time I used the camera was in 2007. But I figured I would use the camera until the 2016 season comes around here in the Northeast. And I still get to use my Hypeye.

The Laci I mentioned is aka Lasloimage.

I think I'll do the multiple card thing, as I'm liable to lose just one, if that's all I have. A little confusion goes a long way with me. :D:DB|

"Tape is dead" doesn't mean you can't use it. But...very few computers come with firewire any longer, and that's the only way to get DV off a camera (unless you use analog mixer and composite output, which makes "bad" look much worse).

The bigger question is whether your DZ can even ingest DV for editing, or if they'll allow it. I wouldn't.

Standard definition is entirely dead, most people have HD displays. HD is on its last legs as well, with 4K growing 6X more rapidly than most believed it would.

My video is just for fun, and not for the DZ.

My tv is older than my camera so I have no problem watching my videos. I know, I'm still way behind the times, but I'm not one who has to have the latest and greatest toy out there.

Thanks for your help, and I'm looking forward to the review of your next batch of cameras.

Kentucky