DougH

Lenses for landing photos, rebel body.

Decided to catch my foot and blow my ankle up on a tandem landing 5 weeks ago. Now I have hardware and the rest of the season off.

Still non weight bearing but I was thinking about taking landing photos to fight the bordem.

Can you please recommend lenses that would work well for the application? The camera is a older RebeI XSi.

Thanks!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Good glass is important, even if your camera is older.
I do landing shots for the living (at least a significant part of my income). Back then when I mounted the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS lens on my 8mp Xt the results were insanely better.
For landings you don't need f2.8 , the cheaper f4 is just as good.
Here's a descent used one:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-70-200-mm-F-4-L-IS-USM-Lens-/271955581766?nav=SEARCH
It will earn more $ :)

Good point, but there is a point of diminishing return. We should have asked DougH what his budget is. My thought (likely a wrong assumption), is that this is a short-term project til his body heals. Therefore, spending a lot on a lens with an old body, likely won't pay for itself before end of season. however...good glass holds its value as well as diamonds do, so investing in good glass is never a loss.

And that said, I'm turning into an anti-DSLR snob anyway. :) Switching everything over to E-mount, and dang...that's spendy.

Thanks for the input so far, it is great.

DSE is half right, this is the keep me entertained while I heal. But if I had good interest I would consider getting a dz brat to take them when I am back chucking drouges next season..

When you say E-mount are you referring to the new mirrorless bodies?

I was looking at the new sony too lighten the load on my camera helmet but I do I limited outside video. But this could tip the scale slightly..
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Most of these pictures from a, ehm, rather familiar environment , were taken with the 70-200 F4 referred to in this topic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/di0/sets/72157647244359978

If you're interested in giving it a try, I can take it with me to the DZ next time I come there and you can play with it.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.