Finley1128

Sony a5000

Great Camera for tandems. Does not focus as fast as the a6000 but if using the pancake lens that won't matter as the lens does not have auto focus. Focus would be more of a set on infinity and go. However a huge plus is the card is side loaded so no need to remove from the mount to change cards. Shooting on intelligent mode is not ideal. Aperture or Shutter priority is optimal. Will shoot roughly 3fps which is fine for tandems. Personally I would use a Really Right Stuff mount for it. If I was not already using a A6000 I would be using a 5000.

Depending on price you are willing to pay, the A5100 is worth considering. Not as big, or quite as feature rich as the A6000, but moreso than the A5000, but it has the really fast auto focus if you use a AF lens.
Shots a faster continuous shoot mode - either low or hi, which is something like 6 or 11 fps respectively or something like that.

Comparison of all three specs:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=sony_a5000&products=sony_a5100&products=sony_a6000

Just ignore bit about A5100 doing 720p video at 120fps. It doesn't.

I've got the A5100.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

I tried the A5000 for tandem stills for a bit at the beginning of the season. Had a lot of issues- tongue switch adapter problems, freezing up, etc. Not sure if I got a bad one or it was user error or a combination of both, but I sold it and put my trusty old XTi back on and I'm glad I did. I'll be sticking with Canon for tandem work for the foreseeable future.

Shorting of the wrong wires in a tongue switch or adaptor for the sony multi-terminal cameras (A5000, A5100, A6000 etc) can cause the camera to freeze and stop accepting input.

This may have been the problem. Or you could have just been unlucky with the camera. I've experienced no problems in the use of my A5100.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

What is the benefits of the a5100 over the a6000. The specs read as though they both have the same fast auto focus.

I usually put my camera on RRS L mounts, so I am less concerned about the accessibility of the SD card. Those mounts typically allow unfettered access.

Is anyone using one of the newer full frame mirrorless sony's for jumping?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Zlew

Smaller, less expensive, and side load card vs bottom load. The 11fps on the 6000 is cool..but I think overkill for what we do.

+1 Been using the A6000 for a while now, but its overkill plus its bottom loading. Sucks need to unplug and remove after every video.

I've have both a multi-terminal to 2.5mm adapter for 2.5mm switches, and a separate switch with a multi-terminal connector. Full disclosure - I make switches and adapters (skyswitches.com), so have made all my own.

But I recall from when testing with the Sony cameras, if specific wrong wires were crossed together, then the camera would fire on pressing the switch, but would lock up after that.

However, if it is working on the ground then it isn't that it was wrongly wired. If it is locking up, then maybe it is a wire occasionally shorting, if it is just failing to fire, then could be a loose connection? I'm just guessing though.

I've been using a straight multi terminal cable with all the wires soldered together for about 30 jumps, my pictures have never been better and I don't miss any shots. I just flick my camera on in the door and it takes the photos as soon as it's focused. Haven't had any issues with freezing.
Do you know where to get the right angle cables from? I want a better quality, less catchy connection, and I also want to put a rocker switch on it for ease of use. Cheers!

J-Mad

I've been using a straight multi terminal cable with all the wires soldered together for about 30 jumps, my pictures have never been better and I don't miss any shots. I just flick my camera on in the door and it takes the photos as soon as it's focused. Haven't had any issues with freezing.
Do you know where to get the right angle cables from? I want a better quality, less catchy connection, and I also want to put a rocker switch on it for ease of use. Cheers!

I presume it's yourself that just ordered some right angle multi-terminal adaptors through my site, so I'm guessing you found your answer!

I figured the straight connectors are a larger snag hazard, so I decided to stop doing those, and I only do right angle ones now. I mould the RA connector myself and try to keep it as small as possible. Aesthetics aren't perfect, but less of a snag hazard IMO.

in low light it CAN help. It depends a bit on the focus length of the lens etc... (rule of thumb is if your using a 15mm lens 15/1sec is the slowest speed for handheld/ no IS. 200mm 200/1sec and so on) IS will help you a couple of stops but when using a wide angle it´s not that important.

Some camera has IS in the body and some on the lenses. (sony use IS in the body)