kellja2001

Best Camera for Filming 4-way

Good afternoon!

Looking for some opinions really.

My current setup has either two Sony CX105s or two Sony CX115s (or a mix of each) - the backup has a .3 lens, the primary has a .43.

These are getting a bit long-in-the-tooth now (knackered) and I'm looking to replace with the best on the market!

I use a Tonfly 4x Top with Converter Mounts (happy to order a new plate if the proposed mounting is different).

I think we can assume money isn't an object - but I would like hypeye (or equivalent) compatibility; something I can change the lens on; preferably something light; something that will fit on top of my 4x; and something that I can buy new!

Let me know what your thoughts are!

J

I'm in a real similar boat and will be interested to see the feedback on here.

I also want Hypeye support and wide (but not gopro wide) primary camera angle. As far as I know, the most modern CX style camera that will support a Hypeye is the CX430.

That is a several year old camera...and you may not be able to find a new one. But it has BOSS, and works with the hypeye.

What I really want- Gopro to come out with the next camera that has image stabilization that will give a clean picture at a medium filed of view...slap a TurnedOn on the back, and be good to go.

My current setup is a CX150 with a .5x, and a GoPro/Turned On as backup.

I have been having great success with the Sony action cameras. With the IS turned on it has a 120 fov (170 w/o). The 120 is roughly CX with .42ish lens added. While there is not light indicator (hype-eye or turned on), the remote works very well. The remote will not power on the cameras but it will display up to 4 cameras you can scroll through. Also pushing the record button will start recording on all the cameras. After checking the screen and seeing a red dot next to each camera you can switch the display off and still see a red light next to the record button. Battery life will last a full day of training UNLESS you play through the camera to a TV or computer screen. In which case it would pay off to carry a spare battery or plug it in during lunch.

One problem that does exist the rolling shudder common on action cameras. If you add a ND gel filter of 2 stops it fixes most of this.

I may end up going that direction one day. I'm just so used to the indicator and the comfort knowing in freefall that my cameras are running. Before I got my TurnedOn, my backup gopro was turning off about 20 seconds after starting to record for most of the day, and I had no idea until I checked the card after training.

that's why a gopro with IS and a more narrow field of view is appealing to me.

jtiflyer

One problem that does exist the rolling shudder common on action cameras. If you add a ND gel filter of 2 stops it fixes most of this.

This issue is endemic to all small cameras, global shutter is simply too expensive at this time, to put into a small package. The PolarPro kit for Sony is indeed the best answer, and it should be slowing your shutter down enough that it's below 1/250 (where jellocam mostly dies)

DSE

This issue is endemic to all small cameras, global shutter is simply too expensive at this time, to put into a small package. The PolarPro kit for Sony is indeed the best answer, and it should be slowing your shutter down enough that it's below 1/250 (where jellocam mostly dies)

only problem is you can't use the housing if you use the Polarpro. Using the mount without the housing causes a LOT of shaking for 4 way, however it does not do that for tandems. I am guessing it has something to do with the dirty burble air above the team I am still considering a set though

only problem is you can't use the housing if you use the Polarpro.

Actually, you can. The doors are so cheap, I've Dremel'd out the front not just for the lens, but for the audio upgrade too.

You can buy a kit of 3 doors on Amazon for a few bucks.

I won't be back up to the DZ for a week; I'll happily shoot a pic when I go.
However, notice that the lens cover on your housing pops out. It's not molded to the housing; it's pressure-fitted. Removing the lid from the housing, put the flat part on a table or counter top. With a round screwdriver handle, or a roll of nickels (something that has a near-diameter), you can pop that "window" out. From there, it's quite self explanatory. You don't even need the Dremel for that, but you'll find the PolarPro just barely fits, and isn't held with enough integrity for a skydive.

So I decided to take a punt... a £1200 kind of punt...

I've bought a Sony FDR-AX33 and an FDR-X1000V and a wrist remote.

The X1000V hasn't arrived yet, but I combined the AX33 with my old CX105 over the weekend, and have had some impressive results.

The setup so far: Primary - AX33 with Tiffen 52mm 0.6 Neutral Density Filter and Digital King DSW Pro 0.7 wide conversion lens. Secondary- CX105 with Liquid 0.43HD Lens.

So let's start with the bad. The AX33 (with lens/filter) is pretty heavy by modern standards. I'm hoping having the X1000V as the backup, rather than an old CX105 will offset this a little. The judging system used this weekend didn't support 4k, so I turned it down to normal HD. Right. Now for the good.

Good: The 0.7 appears wider than the CX105 with 0.43 - but narrower than I recall my 0.3 being (yay!). The quality is stonkingly good compared to what I'm used to.

I'll post some video here when I get a chance (my iMac can't edit 4k yet - but it can edit the HD stuff).

I'll also provide an update in a couple of weekends time when I have the wrist remote and X1000V to complete the setup!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Hydh9G3ow

So I (quickly) edited the above - please note it's not in 4k (my iMac can't handle that yet) but does clearly show the quality and how wide-angle the lens is!

I haven't cropped anything, and the only effect I've used is a subtle slo-mo on one of the exits.

I think I may actually love the AX33. Although I must stress, it is heavy - and probably not appropriate for novice/new camera folk.

The remote arrived yesterday, and I can confirm it does work with the AX33 - but it's less useful than I hoped because you have to turn the AX33 on and go through the menus to select "Control via wifi", then close the screen (with the viewfinder open), put the helmet on, then you can click record on the remote when you want. I haven't yet found an option to get the camera to automatically connect to the remote, which is slightly frustrating!

That said, I can always use my hypeye (with converter) :-)

I bought the 540 a year or two ago, got the adapter...plugged it in and nothing.

I actually sent the camera to Hypoxic for them to have a look, and the reply was that Sony totally changed the itnerface, and the hypeye won't work with the new setup. Further, it does not look like they will be making a new heypeye for the new cx size cameras.

That's why i'm so interested in this thread. The only things that work with the visual indicator right now are older cameras and a gopro with a Turned On. Interested to see what direction everyone will be going as the older cameras are getting long in the tooth.

Slightly offtopic, but are the remotes compatible across models, and are they different from model to model? I'm eyeing AZ-1 for when my jump number rolls over, but the remote is absolutely gigantic. It's looks like it's almost twice the size of GoPro remote. I'd like to know if that's the case for all Sony models.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

I see, thanks. The lack of clarity on what differentiates the models is infuriating, as is the fact it's apparently impossible to buy the GPS-enabled LVR2V other than as a bundle with AZ1. But it seems like it should be relatively easy to fashion a mount for it on my Viso wrist mount, have you got any experience with what? Where do you normally keep your remote?
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

I can order LVR2, but not LVR2V (the AZ1-specific GPS-enabled unit). Which is annoying because I'd like an option of buying just the camera and then getting a remote if I decide I need the functionality. But eh, that's not your fault, and I know more now than I did before, so thanks for the help.