blake63

Video for tandem

Hey-
I am fairly new to shooting tandem videos. I have been using a contour for video because I didn't want to dump a lot of money into it from the beginning if I decided I didn't want to do it.

So my question is -- what kind of cameras are serious video guys using to video tandems. I was thinking about a Sony CX for the stabilization but I don't know how they compare to gopros. I have tried to research this but most threads on CX's are at least a couple years old. Just looking for some recommendations for upgrading video gear for tandem videos.

Thanks!

Most vidiots at our DZ use CX110 or CX115 for video and SLR Canons or similar for photos. GoPros are used for backup photos/video.

I don't take the SLR on a Tandem unless the pax has ordered photos, which is rare at our DZ.

I personally prefer the Sony CX for video because I don't like the fish eye look the GoPros have. The photos from my canon 350D are far superior to what the GoPros produce despite having fewer pixels.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Thanks for your input. Yes, the contours are still being made but the video quality isn't great. That's why I'm asking about the CXs. I know they have been around a long time and I just didn't know if there was a better alternative. I was already leaning towards a CX.

Now another question. It seems like a lot of the boxes by Cookie, etc aren't made for the newer CXs. Do you know of anyone making boxes for newer versions of CX? If not, I may just have to try to find an older CX.

If you're selling SLR photos, using a GoPro is a copout.

GoPros are OK for video if your still camera lens is wide enough to match but but the microphones are rubbish, you can't zoom (landing, passenger miles away in the plane etc), no viewfinder for interviews etc and the micro SD cards are a pain in the ass. GoPros are also more expensive.

The cheapest (and still best in the tandem environment) setup in my opinion is a CX-series with a lens adaptor that can be zoomed through (Raynox 3032PRO) with any SLR and a kit lens (upgrade the lens if you're feeling flush).

Use a GoPro for backup. The "HERO" is super cheap and worth adding for the peace of mind.

There's loads of CX115 on eBay in the UK and there's a good selection of boxes.

Most CX camera have a weak spot near the lens which can cause vibrations of the lens adaptor. I wrap foam around the lens adaptor tightly with electrical tape. When the box closes, it "wedges" the lens in and stops it from moving. A cage won't give you that option.

I bought a cheap GoPro case that included a external mic.

It's not that bad.
I have the mic inside the dytterpocket and still get some wind noise depending on where I look, but voices under canopy are better than underwater case and built in mic.

I can upload a video of a CRW jump I did a few weeks ago.