flyfastc

Advice on improving camera helmet snag hazard

See attached.

Looking for any advice on how I could improve my camera helmets snag hazard.

I was thinking of creating or looking for a box that will fit around the stills camera, covering all parts of the camera except the lens of course.

The problem with having a stills camera on a helmet that isn't a flat top is the giant snag spots you can see in the image and the visions of having a reserve wrap won't escape my mind.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Not sure how to prevent a wrap around the camera itself, but getting something between camera and helmet is what has prevented me from putting a still on my head. To fill in that space, consider filling the gap between helmet and camera with something like polymold or Sugru

Mold it with a lip behind the camera so a line would go up/over instead of between camera and the infilled material. Secure the infill with a screw(s) from the inside of the helmet. If you change cameras, the screw can be removed and the infill taken off.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

As above - a possible option is to change the stills camera to something like one of the Sony (or other brand) mirrorless cameras (A5000, A5100, A6000 etc) that are MUCH smaller, so have less of an overhang, which would reduce the extent of the snag hazard as a start.

Then fill in the space between the helmet and camera. If you didn't want to drill the helmet, what I've done with mine (I've got a different helmet, and a mirrorless camera, so my overhang was no where near as notable) is fit a thin aluminium plate to the base of the camera, through which it attaches to my quick release. I then filled the gap between that plate and the helmet with very firm foam, but had it fixed to the plate rather than the helmet. The likes of polymold, polymorph etc mouldable plastic would work just as well. That way when I take the camera off, the "filler" stuff goes with it, rather than staying fixed on the helmet.

But the height of my overhang at its biggest point was only about 2cm tops, so not as pronounced as yours.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

johnmatrix

... solution is to get a nice big flat top camera helmet.

That's what I was thinking. Especially with a nice, big, heavy 5DmkII like that one.
Something like this...

https://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/stock-tonfly-cc2-skydiving-camera-helmet

or this...
https://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/bonehead-flat-top-pro

or this...
https://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/vapor-wes-pro-3431

Good luck.