Pobrause

Cam screw durability on larger Sonys

Looking at the Sony PJ 810 handcam right now as upgrade from a CX 115
With a larger batterie its quite on the heavier side with over 500 gramm (screw your imperial system!) + windspeeds up to 300 km/h and the added drag of a neopren cover...
I'm wondering whether the normal camera screw and a small velcro tape to hold the cam in place is actually enough?!
It worked well with the CX115 without the velcro tape but you could already see after years of use that the area around the screw adapter on the cam starts to bend and will eventually break at some point.
Do I really need a propper case or is velcro tape plus screw enough?
Also my schumacher mount has a thin layer of rubber on its surface that is a bit flexible. Would a nonflexible layer work better?

Am I overthinking?

Also is anybody already using the PJ810? Would really like to get firsthand experience =)
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

There was a videographer at Elsinore jumping a larger Sony cam (model?) with a large honking lens held only by the 1/4 bottom screw. On opening the receptacle and screw tore right out of the bottom and the camcorder went for its final flight until it hit the ground. Luckily he was out near the end of the runway where it hit no one. The only thing we recovered that still worked and was not completely destroyed was the memory card and we watched the whole thing on video. If the camcorder is heavy I would use nylon straps with fastec buckles or preferably a box which would be less of a snag hazard. Like you noticed those sony receptacles were only designed to hold a camcorder on a tripod mount and not for skydiving. The mount receptacles should be inspected regularly if they are the only attachment point on any system.

if the camera weighs more than half a pound, jumping with only one attach point is foolish, IMO.

Even though the camera seen in this photo is attached at two screw points, it's still braced via zipties (it's not on an FTP, because the bottom of the lens wouldn't fit properly on the flat surface and still provide balance). The Cyclone light in the other image not only has zipties, but also a specially-made aluminum bracket for the side screws.

Tie that stuff down! :)
The larger AVCHD cams from Sony are all in the "heavy" range, and I'd strongly suggest not trusting the plastic inserted, metal flange bezel system to hold through deployment.
Please don't create risk for people on the ground?

Good points, especially since I just bought my heaviest Sony yet.

Still though, it would be nice if they beefed up their mounts. My Canon DSLR + lens is way heavier than my Sony (especially when you consider the length of the lens and the torsional load that puts on the tripod interface), and there has never been a concern about that mount failing.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

none of the hand-cams have metal-throughout like a DSLR does. It keeps the cost down, and manufacturers don't care about the stresses we put on them.
The AX33...I wouldn't worry much about it. It's a metal receiver with extended plates sandwiched in plastic and metal. Buy a bomb-proof Mack Warranty and never worry about it. :)