EOCS

Sony X1000V

Hi, just got the cam last week and only have 4 jumps on it but wrote down my initial thoughts about it. I didnt put plus and minus as to each his own, these are just one mans observations.

* Works, no black videos or freezing, does not melt itself

* Has a hold Switch, no more bumping the camera off when getting out of the door

* Video quality is awesome

* Battery lasts the whole day and does not discharge itself when the camera is off.

* Stabilization works great, but the video is a bit ‘’robotic’’ with its movement, you can only really tell if you are looking for it, otherwise it’s awesome, will be filming in this mode primarily

* If you plan to film in 4k and then stabilize afterwards keep in mind that without a FIXED point for the stabilization to use it crops 90% of the video out and is unusable. This could just be my knowledge of adobe programs lacking but it cant seem to get it to stabilize and not crop everything. If you know something i do not please fill me in.

* Sony advertise the X1000V as being able to record altitude (GPS), I also submitted a support ticket to confirm this. Sony confirmed, but after buying the camera I find that there are no overlays in Sony’s programs to show this data.

* If you top mount it’s like having a hand on the top of your helmet. Spotting or having your head sideways to the wind it puts quite a bit of pressure on your neck. Yes my neck was a bit sore from sleeping funny the night before but it was still a strong pressure. Hoping I get used to it.

* It cannot tilt without a quite large accessory, you need to get the mount placed right the first time.

* i feel the snag hazard is less then a GoPro, but it is still there.

* Must be mounted very far back on most helmets to not be looking too far down

* The mounts can be popped off with a reasonably low amount of force, i was able to pop the mount off by hand as it was looking too low (see above comment about getting it right the first time) where as GoPro mounts could be used to mend bridges

* Menu is about as difficult as a hero 3 to operate except that it returns you to the beginning when you change an option.

* NFC pairing works flawlessly for my Android phone and wife's Windows phone. wifi connection is fast and there is almost no lag from camera to phone.

Overall a very solid camera with bullet proof software (so far). I will be keeping it because I'm the guy who got the worst GoPro from the batch every time since the Hero 3 came out and got tired of apologizing to Tandem passengers that my camera just filmed black or froze halfway. However, The pull from the wind on the helmet is quite an inconvenience and combined with the low grip of the mount makes me scared that the camera will one day go flying off during a transition in FF for example. If i could buy again i would go with the AZ1 as its far far smaller and has the same capabilities and it seems has the same quality besides the 4k and 120 FPS 1080p. This is just not something i personally need.

So far this is it, If i notice something else that warrants posting i will amend feel free to ask any questions.

Fly Safe Out There!

Jim

* If you plan to film in 4k and then stabilize afterwards keep in mind that without a FIXED point for the stabilization to use it crops 90% of the video out and is unusable. This could just be my knowledge of adobe programs lacking but it cant seem to get it to stabilize and not crop everything. If you know something i do not please fill me in.

Actually, Adobe's stabilizer will crop AS MUCH as 10% of the image, not 90%, and it is quite usable. However... there are much better stabilizers out there should you need to stabilize. A solid platform rarely requires much stabilization.

I haven't dug into PlayMemories to see how/if it will display the altitude that the app alleges to display, but then again, I don't use PM for anything at all anyway. If I get some free time, I'll see if I can figure it out. It is definitely in the Developer kit as a vendor embedded option.

Yes, the X1000 is a terrific little camera.

Hey thanks for the reply. Ive attached 2 screen shots of what Adobe is cropping out by default for me, I can play with the smoothness scale and it gets a little better but still chops quite alot. what am i doing wrong? i only stabilized the first 20 sec of this jump in the pictures to save time as it takes my PC quite a while. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCUfjiqj-kQ

Also here are a few shots of the camera and wifes on my G3 after i moved it back a little. will be trying this configuration this weekend.http://imgur.com/a/8E4dF

Thanks!

I will be going out literally now to buy one,
BUT if there's a newer version coming out very soon I will hold on....
Anyone have any idea on this? I have tried looking it up
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

Liking the camera so far, but things I don't like are

* Bought 2 different UHS-I 3 cards that won't work with 4K

* GPS layover only shows horizontal speed

* Interval photo is only 2.1 megapixel, Single Photo mode is 8.8 but hard to use in freefall

Any one know if the HDMI supports 4K?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232

EOCS

* If you top mount it’s like having a hand on the top of your helmet. Spotting or having your head sideways to the wind it puts quite a bit of pressure on your neck. Yes my neck was a bit sore from sleeping funny the night before but it was still a strong pressure. Hoping I get used to it.

Jim

Just curious how long you have been shooting video if you think this tiny camera creates a lot of drag on the wind. Ever try shooting in mini d/v (I wasn't jumping when hi8 was in use).