The111

Need help deciding what direction to go for next video camera

DSE

No, we don't/can't take edited footage. I wasn't aware you were looking for comp (I spaced that out).

Stick with the AS100V, IMO.

That was my tongue in cheek point. It has to be shake free (as much as possible) from the camera. I do shoot for comp, tandems, fun. I am waiting for this years shootout results to see if I should invest in some new cameras.

I am considering the HDR AZ-1 for handcam once the Hero2 bites the bullet. Do you have any experience with that camera specifically the stills??

Spot,
What do you think about Panasonic's FZ 1000?
[/url]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=1057135&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview
The internet reviews are descent...
[url]http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/panasonic/fz1000/vs/sony/rx10-ii/

It seemed pretty good at PDN's expo last October and B&H where I had a chance to play with it a bit...

For jumping only the Sony RX100 IV seems the best choice for size/qality/performance/price consideration
[/url]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1159879-REG/sony_dsc_rx100_mark_4_digital.html[url] I wish if had an external flash option though...

I'll preface by saying I am unabashedly anti-Panasonic on most everything video. Why? Because they lied to the industry for two years and when got caught out, their response was "we interpret the data differently." They are the only company in history to stretch pixels BOTH vertically and horizontally, and shift colorspace in their upsample. That dishonesty has carried over...
now on to my attempt at being unbiased;

The camera uses a non standard codec. That shoots it hard for me.
I don't care about the burst mode doing 80 vs 50 pix; both are overkill.
I do want the faster framerates for super slow mo that the Sony offers. That's a big deal for me, coupled with a professional video codec, is the "big" reason I'd go Sony.

The longer zoom of the Panasonic doesn't help me for most of what I'd use it for, YMMV.

Overall, if I'm using this camera for 4K, I want the global/antidistortion shutter of the Sony. I want the better codec. I want the super slowmo.
Hope that helps?

Thank you Spot!
I remember Panasonic from the "beginning era" of HD when they sold the 1080 24p HVX100 with P2 card recording... The problem was the sensor of the camera had only 540 lines , and it was up duplicated to create 1080... Lot of people loved it though by some reason... We shoot a TV project back then where I was using the Sony V1U which was visibly superior compare to the HVX100, the only disadvantage of the V1U was the tape recording.
Thank you for your input and pointing out Panasonic's non standard codec!
The main reason I was looking into these cameras because of the relatively compact size with pretty descent specs which could make some travel photography easier (longer zoom becomes handy here and there)
But I guess based on your input the RX10-II is the best option.
Sony claims while the RX10-II doesn't have a global shutter it reads out the frames so fast the rolling shutter effect isn't an issue. How does it work for the video? What is your experience so far with the rolling shutter?

I only received a production RX this morning...so hoping for good weather at the DZ, and at the aquarium. I'll give you my opinion then.
On the surface, the anti judder seems to work, I did some very fast pans with the pre-production unit and it seemed solid as heck.

It's not a true global shutter, it's just a software approximation of one, for wont of a better explanation.

DSE

For someone of Matt's calibre, I'd likely suggest the Blackmagic Design 4K Micro. It's not shipping just yet; having had a prototype, it's simply incredible.

Sony's offerings are slim outside of the 1000V in 4K (for the skydiving world), at least right now. No one is doing an awesome job of 4K in a small/POV package just yet.

This Blackmagic camera looks interesting. I remember you and Lazlo previously discussing some quirks about workflow with Blackmagic. Can the files, from this camera, simply be dumped into a Sony Vegas Pro timeline or is there something else required?
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

DSE

For someone of Matt's calibre, I'd likely suggest the Blackmagic Design 4K Micro. It's not shipping just yet; having had a prototype, it's simply incredible.

Sony's offerings are slim outside of the 1000V in 4K (for the skydiving world), at least right now. No one is doing an awesome job of 4K in a small/POV package just yet.

Since the Micro Studio 4K version doesn't support internal/native recording would you also mount an external recorder if you were to jump it?

The BMD video is meant to be colored (processed in post production). The captured video has lot of information which needs to be adjusted for the desired look. The captured image coming out of them look very flat. As far as I know Sony Vegas supports ProRes HQ 422 but doesn't support BMD's RAW (Cine Dng) format which gives you the most. With the purchase of a camera from BMD coloring software is provided called DaVinci Resolve. Very powerful (industry leading) coloring software, needs lot of time to learn how to use it.
While you can create a breathtaking amazing look/video with BMD cameras, they're not for everyday skydiving.

Laszlo hits the nail on the head...it's not for everyday jumping, and you'd hate it for tandems. The workflow isn't there. It's designed for production.

Most are using tools like FFMpeg or Cineform to convert Cinema DNG to Avid dnx or other format. There is no point in editing raw unless you absolutely have to, and have an absolute monster machine that is clean as can be (very rare in the skydiving world, IMO).

that said, I've got an Odessy for this sort workflow, and yes, that's the route I'd take. ProRes is fine for 99% of the work out there.

Thanks to DSE, jtiflyer, and Laszloimage for the thoughtful responses.

In a recent WS WR camp I was chatting with Matt Hoover about his new purchase of the Sony FDR-AX33. A talented camer flyer from my home DZ in VA (David Cherry) also just got one.

Obtainable under $900, it is a bit cheaper than the BM Micro Cinema, and as much as I would love to go full robot with a vest made out of batteries and ext HD recorders to support multiple BM Micro Studio cams . . . that is not a realistic 2015 project for me.

But now there is the Sony DSC-RX100 IV.

Honestly, I am scared of the weight of both the DSC-RX10 II, and the FDR-AX33. I've got a giraffe body and neck to match. Trunk told me he doesn't fly big cameras anymore due to too many hard openings and given his significantly greater experience & time in the sport than me . . . I respect that danger/challenge/risk.

I really want the slow mo / HFR capabilities of the new RX cams, but 2-3 seconds on the small/light RX100 IV is definitely annoying.

The FDR-AX33 is still very attractive to me, but I feel like I need to know more about potential rolling shutter/jello cam issues with it first.

This post is all over the place, but I am very keen to know this group's thoughts on the various options released this summer.

Lastly, due to a significant weight reduction and superior codec, I think it prudent to sell off my Sony a6000 for an a5100 (specifically for video use), does anyone feel differently?

Thanks,
Slow Dan

Not that Im' permitted to share. The one I expected was supposed to be a production model; it's not. It's a pre-production model. On August 27, I'll be doing a seminar with a "real one," so I'm told, and I'm not permitted for NDA reasons, to comment much on Pre-pro models.

For the cost, it's an amazing camera (even if I don't have all the firmware), but until I see a "real" one...

Sad thing is, like the A7R, they're already shipping in some places. Unfortunately, the pub staff don't always get the shipping models before the retailers do.