NickyCal

Sony HDR-CX405?

Asking this question on behalf of my other half. He's been getting into the camera flying gig at our little DZ and using a Contour side mount and a Cannon DSLR on top. However, he's not thrilled with the old Contour and would like to trade up for a Sony of some variety. As we started to look at them, however, the options are incredibly diverse and he's not sure what the best models would be for the skydiving discipline. He found a good deal on the CX405, which it appears is a lower end model, but is there good reason not to go that route as a first foray into the Sony brand? Thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

He has a GoPro as well (which I'm assuming is somewhat comparable to the Action Cam series?), but was looking for something with a bit more "professional" quality. Do you think that the Action Cam fits that bill? As far as trading in the Contour and using something different than a GoPro.

action cam is Sony's version of the sports action camera. I use them for everything. I personally feel they image quality is better than the small consumer line of Sony cameras. Especially if you add a wide angle lens.

eta: fat finger typing

In the past, the smaller action cameras weren't as useful as the bigger CX series. That has shifted, and I'm a fan of the small AS and FDR series cameras. Both are better in resolution with the built in/designed wide lens and stabilization. You lose playback view, but most don't care about that.

DSE

In the past, the smaller action cameras weren't as useful as the bigger CX series. That has shifted, and I'm a fan of the small AS and FDR series cameras. Both are better in resolution with the built in/designed wide lens and stabilization. You lose playback view, but most don't care about that.

How is the audio ? GoPro audio has always been a little tinny. Is Sony better ? I'm a cx user but I'm after a lighter weight and quality video ( and quality audio ).

Life is short ... jump often.