n8cc2peeple

What type of shackles for camera wings?

Hi all! I'm switching out the plastic buckle on my camera jacket wings for an RSL-style shackle and wanted to see what experienced videographers recommend. Most of the RSL links/shackles I've seen online seem like more money than I'd like to spend, but I'm tired of having my wings pop off when I flip to my back or pop up in a sit.

Thanks!

I have rings sewn on the leg straps of my rigs and use these rsl ish style snap shackles http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/400830860565?nav=SEARCH

Cheap, work fine and most importantly, they match the black metal hardware on my rigs.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Head down to your local hardware store and look in the fasteners and clips section, you'll get a set of steel clips for a couple of dollars, no need to spend a fortune on RSL shackles. If I remember I'll take a pic of the ones on my camera jacket when I go to work tomorrow.

there was a thread about this very thing a number of years ago. someone replied with a link to a company . it made a direct replacement for the plastic fastex buckles but they were made from metal they looked really durable.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

n8cc2peeple

Thanks for all the input guys.

Keithbar, I was able to find the shackles through an old thread- I think Matt Hoover was the OP or posted the link. I ordered:

http://catalog.dj-associates.com/item/special-hardware/fixed-eye-snap-shackle--bronze/3440-a?&forward=1

My wings were first connected by the bronze shackle until I got tired of them unhooking at really bad times - including but not limited to my climb out and/or exit for various reasons.

I had the Wichard stainless steel shackles put on and have never had one unhook since (past 5 years). The Wichard shackle has a very powerful (my guess is at least twice as strong) spring in the post which is what keeps it hooked up.

You don't always get what you pay for - but you usually pay for what you get (in one way or another).
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.