akarunway

GoPro and drones

Anybody play w/ them? I bought a GoPro last yr. and since I doubt I'll be jumping anymore I want to buy a drone to hook it up to and see what I/it can do. Any advice? I have a new Samsung tablet also to go w/ it. Best drone to go w/ it? I'll be doing some research on my own but anybody w/ experience that will help me would be cool.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

***I got a DJI Phantom with a walkera 2d Gimbal for the GoPro 3.

And?

I am happy with the setup. Just added FPV this week.
I was not happy using the GoPro without a Gimbal, main reason is that the drone tilts too much and ruins the video. Not an issue when you only take pictures though.

Your are not going to need the samsung tablet for anything relating to drones. Steering with WiFi and a tablet like with some of the (old?) Parrot drones is not really much fun because of the limited range. Using it as an FPV Monitor has too much delay.

The GoPro is usefull for the drone, but if it is only for flying drones then therer may be better options.
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

FrancoR

******I got a DJI Phantom with a walkera 2d Gimbal for the GoPro 3.

And?

I am happy with the setup. Just added FPV this week.
I was not happy using the GoPro without a Gimbal, main reason is that the drone tilts too much and ruins the video. Not an issue when you only take pictures though.

Your are not going to need the samsung tablet for anything relating to drones. Steering with WiFi and a tablet like with some of the (old?) Parrot drones is not really much fun because of the limited range. Using it as an FPV Monitor has too much delay.

The GoPro is usefull for the drone, but if it is only for flying drones then therer may be better options.

actually you can get a UVC grabber and use the tablet for your fpv monitor/dvr. i fly a phantom as well, but use the sony as100v because it has image stabilization.
uhf for the radio and 1.3 ghz for the video. gives 3+ miles of range. they fly away a lot. watch youtube. get uhf you wont be sorry.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

I also have a dji F550 with the dji Zenmuse gimbal which I also use with a gopro Hero 3+ or 4.
Unfortunatly I get stabiltiy problems with my F550 if I rotate around the axis.
but my newest toy is a Insprire 1 from dji with there own 4K camera and a 3d gimbal. up to now it works only with the dji camera but I'm sure they will bring a gimbal later on that works also with gopro.
but I'm acutally more happy with the dji camera then with the gopro. the problem of the gopro is that the horizont is round (I don't know the english term for that) which is actually bad for vid and pics with a drone. The camera from dji corrects this very nicly.

http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

DSE

Have you replaced the prop locks on your Inspire yet? Or did you receive one of the recent models that included them?

They where sent with the Inspire.
It would suck to loose a prop on a quadcopter :)
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

DSE

It sucks to lose a prop on an octacopter, too.
The issue isn't just losing the prop, it's also dirt/debris in the motor.
I'm glad they found/fixed the problem fast.

Did you get a chance to look at the dji camera?
What would you say if to compare it to a gopro Hero 4?
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

The DJI camera is the same imager as the GoPro, it's a sony Exmor system.
IMO, the DJI is better, but haven't flown both on the same rotor to have a side by side.
A friend did this just yesterday with Eric Chen of DJI, but I've not seen the footage. His report was "I prefer the DJI."
I likely will too, simply for the lack of saturation processing.