lightblue

Helmet with camera built in

I've mounted cameras on helmets lots of different ways, but a year ago I decided to build one right into my Phantom helmet to make a totally snag free "stealth" camera. Given that every smart phone has a tiny video camera built right in these days I'm surprised that no one (that I know of) does this. I've attached three photos of the result. The camera is in the forehead under the visor, although the image quality was ok though the visor I've since drilled a hole, two less surfaces to keep clean. An extra quarter inch of foam around the camera and circuit keeps it from touching my head. I mounted the lights where they can be seen on the chin, and keeping with the stealth theme added two screws to the front grill which are actually the power and record buttons. The battery is in a pouch inside the back neck padding. I built it from a Replay XD which wasn't easy and it isn't really a wide enough lens for "inside" shots. A better camera for this job might be the Mobius since it seems to be made to be hacked. It's fun to surprise jumpers after with a video, I always jump a camera now - if I choose to turn it on.

Dave

1. There's no reason it has to be a crappy camera, as long as the distance from the lens to the chip is short it could be put in a helmet. I did it.
2. Even if it's not the best "professional quality" most people just want to see the jump, laugh, learn and post to facebook. This ain't Hollywood.

in all the years that I shot video for our Club, I worked in the tandem rotation BUT also videoed Every Fun jump that I made.

Yes, we all enjoyed the post-dive debrief and we DID "see the jump, laugh, and learn " especially the 16 and 20 way dives which we shared...
Never posted to FB... it wasn't around. BUT I DID want to have the sharpest, clearest, brightest footage possible... I prided myself on that and so always tried to keep up with "new and Improved " Camcorders.

True , it ain't Hollywood... But poor quality can detract from great Positioning, great camera settings and great timing on the part of the camera person....
Nice work, on your helmet...

1. There's no reason it has to be a crappy camera, as long as the distance from the lens to the chip is short it could be put in a helmet. I did it.

Visit the website. Look at the video demos on their website.
It's terribly compressed. You're right, there is "no reason it has to be a crappy camera" but it is. Likely for a reason of cost.

No, it's not Hollywood. Spending that much money on a locked-in, poor-quality solution seems silly, Hollywood or not. For a much lesser cost, a much greater camera can be sourced.