cjdskydiver

looking for a freeware video converter

Looking for recommendations for a freeware video converter for Windows. I want to convert MP4 files from a GoPro Hero2 to something I can download to my iPhone 4S. I can import the videos into iTunes just fine, but I get an error msg about non-support when trying to download to the phone. Looks like a bit rate or codec issue.

I used GoPro Studio to convert from MP4 to MOV, but the iPhone doesn't support it either.

I did some searches for converters and there's lots of them out there. Many of the reviews on download.com warn about ads, toolbars, annoying popups, and even malware that come along with the installation. Trying to sort thru things and find something useful.

Basically, I'm looking for the VLC Media Player (awesome!) of video converters...no fuss no muss, just does what you want, with no baggage...

Is there some philosophical reason Apple doesn't provide universal support for the common video formats?

Thanks everyone. I had marginal success with HandBrake. The quality was poor with some videos.

I've had great success with Any Video Converter, which I found out about in an old thread in one of the other dz.com forums. Choose custom installation when installing it and uncheck the boxes so you don't get the unrelated AVG, or whatever, add-on browser toolbars.

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

I haven't tried MPEG Streamclip yet, but will check it out.

cjdskydiver

Thanks everyone. I had marginal success with HandBrake. The quality was poor with some videos.

Handbrake is one of my favorites, so is MPEG Streamclip - both are used interchangeably.
I'd venture a guess that you had poor settings that resulted in poor video in hanbrake. It does work 'out of the box' though so if I were you I'd read up on it and try again.

Hinkores

Share this software: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/shn-converter.html
It can convert videos to various video formats and audio. It also supports downloading videos.

Not freeware. It's a free download, but it is not free to use. It's $30.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.