degeneration

Making my own mouth switch

I'm planning on having a go at making my own mouth switch for my camera, just for something to do as little skills building hobby...

Have a source for all the bits I think I'll need, but my one unsure is the actual switch. The one I'm thinking of getting is this - http://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/mcdts2-1r/tactile-switch-4-3mm-260g/dp/SW04112 but the description states that the switch operation is "off - on", so I'm not sure this will do the "push half way for AF, full push to take the picture" that the switch I currently have does. I'm guessing I would need a OFF-(ON) switch, but does that type have the "halfway position" actuation?

Anyone able to guide me whether this is a bad choice of switch, and if it is point me towards the type I'd need? Most likely that would be a OFF-(ON) type switch?

Edit - these seem the momentary contact, so OFF-(ON) type, so are these the switches I'd want? http://www.amazon.co.uk/4-3mm-Momentary-Tactile-Button-Switch/dp/B00974Z6I6/ref=sr_1_9?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1418594373&sr=1-9&keywords=12mm+tact+switch+momentary+4.3mm
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

There are many old threads on here regarding this...i know since i've posted pictures to them. There are many options for making your own. I think the key is if it's a mouth switch, make it rugged and water/slobber proof. If it's a bite...it will need to be even stronger. I make a tongue that looks pretty sad but has served me well for many years and is CHEAP!!!!!
my pics & stuff!

Yeah, I've searched and read quite a few of the other threads that I found, but none gave me the specifics on the double action switches that I'm asking about here.

Those other threads did give me enough to be confident that I can make a switch, now I'm just looking at the bells and whistles for it! The first attempts I'm going to have over the xmas period are ones with a simple momentary on -> off action, rather than the half press focus, full press shutter approach. The switches I've found that do that are completely different shape and price. Although I am tempted to get some to give them a go.

But yeah, slobber/water proof is a definite priority.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

linestretch

I've thought about trying to replicate the 3way switch too but just seemed like more work than needed.

I'm pretty sure it would be!! But I kinda just want to do it, just for the sake of doing it. I'm playing around with this and just learning to solder etc, so want to do it just for the hell of it. But am now all sorted for teh simple on off switch. Just waiting for one more delivery then I'm going to try making a 2.5mm jack one and a nikon mc-dc2 controller one.

Hellis

Why not just buy a old (or broken) camera and take the switch from it?

But I'm not sure it's a good idea to use those switches.
Won't it be hard to know when you have focus?
Won't it be better with manual focus an a simpler switch?

Hadn't thought about taking an old camera apart. The double activation switches I've found are only a couple of quid so not that expensive.

And Yeah the focus thing may be an issue, but I just wanted to make one to know that I can!

degeneration

***Why not just buy a old (or broken) camera and take the switch from it?

But I'm not sure it's a good idea to use those switches.
Won't it be hard to know when you have focus?

Hadn't thought about taking an old camera apart. The double activation switches I've found are only a couple of quid so not that expensive.

And Yeah the focus thing may be an issue, but I just wanted to make one to know that I can!

Well if it's mostly as a fun thing, why not make it better than the normal doubleswitch?
You could use a microcontroller that is connected to a normal switch.
When you push it the microcontroller will first send a 'focus signal' to the camera and then one second ( or half a second) later it will send the 'take picture'.
And since you use a microcontroller you can also connect two LEDs that will indicate focus and take picture.

The microcontroller can also be programmed to have other settings if needed (no focus, or longer focus-time) depending on weather.

Just my thoughts on it...

That sounds like a great idea! Will have to read up on micro controllers though and find out an idea for prices.

But definitely something worth considering!

I bought a Espruino a few weeks ago and it's a very nice micro controller.
It has loads of input/outputs.
But for this use it might be larger than needed. So either wait for the Espruino Pico or get a unofficial Espruino board.

The Espruino runs Javascript, and even if it's not my native language it's still quite simple.
And all code runs instantly as you send it to the unit. You don't need to compile the code.

I recently finnished my first project with the Espruino, a GoPro SD card cleaner.
It removes the THM and LRV files and free up space on your card giving you enough to squeeze in the sunsetload too :-)

No commercially sold biteswitches that I know of do the "half push for focus" thing. Most short the focus and shutter wires together (i.e attach them both to the same pin on the switch), so when the switch is closed both of those circuits close at the same time, which will result in the camera first focusing, and then immediately firing in my experience. With most Canon cameras I've experimented with, this works best when the camera is in "AI servo" mode rather than "AI focus". I can go into more detail on that but it's kind of complicated.

Alternately, some people short the ground and focus wires together so that the camera is always focusing. I don't like this idea, but I think it can be done with the right combination of lens and camera settings. In theory you'll get a shot off faster since you're already focused, but I'm not sure if it actually works out that way or is worth it. Also it will drain your battery (and wear out your lens' moving parts) if you leave your camera in standby on the plane.

I've posted much more about this in similar threads:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3250051#3250051
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3577502#3577502
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3044936#3044936
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2900323#2900323
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4349728#4349728

Hellis

You can use a simpler switch and autofocus. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com