Doug_Davis

Sony Az1 side mount?

Im trying to decide between the Sony AS100 or the AZ1VR (mini).

As of right now the AS100 is larger but I can get a side hinge mount for my G3 Cookie and I can order a flat front lens for use while scuba diving or kayaking as the standard curved lens on the waterproof housing causes some serious distortion.

Has anyone heard anything about creating a side mount for the smaller AZ1 similar to the one Cookie made with the AS30 and AS100?

i made a side mount for my as100v and spoke to cookie.
they said they werent planning on pursuing any camera side mounts for the sony.
my as100 constantly corrupts vidoe files if they are over 4-5 mins, then corrupts every file after that.
i have a classified ad for the sidemounts for the as100v. hopefully Sony sends me an AZ1 after the 3rd time the as100 goes been back. im sure the mounts have to be very similar
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

According to all the reviews the video quality is better on the AS1000 versus the AZ1, but the smaller AZ would of course present less of a snag hazard.

Guess I could fabricate something for myself.

Drives me nuts there are like 50 bazzilion mounts for the GoPro, and no one has come up with a single one for the AZ1 yet. [:/]

Drives me nuts there are like 50 bazzilion mounts for the GoPro, and no one has come up with a single one for the AZ1 yet. [:/]

The Gopro 3/3+/4 body shape has been out for about 2 years now, with millions sold worldwide. The AZ1 just got released several weeks ago. Design, testing, and manufacture of accessories takes time.

Below are some pictures I made of a bracket for the AS100 and G3, which should work for the Az1. Cost about $15. Piece of angle aluminium, 2 screws for the G3 side plate (I cant remember the size but they were metric 10mm long and I think M7s?) and a 1/4* 20 3/8th screw for the hardcase.

I cut the aluminium to roughly match the G3 side plate and cleaned it up on a bench grinder. Used the G3 side plate as a guide for the holes and just lined everything up square with the top of the visor. Works pretty well and took less than 20 minutes. It is upside down so it can be on the left side (away from the pull) which does create a small cavity that lines could get in I guess, next project is a cutaway.

I also made a bracket for a flat top set up if you want go that route see here http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4661905;search_string=sony%20a65;#4661905

Cheers

Dave

i made a very similar mount, but mine is not inverted.
it is on the right side.
i have a sena 20s intercom mounted on the left side. mounting the sony on the right side in the proper orentation closes the gap that a line could get caught in.
i used this in Switzerland this summer for Base jumps and it worked out really well.
i have since modified it to allow entry into the waterproof housing without removing the mount screw for the camera.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Gday,

Yeah when the steadyshot is off (~170 degree field of view)you can see the visor on the right hand side. Screen shot is attached.

When the steadyshot is on (~120 degrees FOV from memory?) the visor is not visible. Screen shot is attached.

Where the camera sits right now it isn't in my peripheral when looking straight ahead though if I look for it I can see the very front of the casing. The hole for the camera case was drilled inline with the two holes drilled for the G3 plate. You could mount the camera further forward, probably only by 2cm, and you wouldn't have the visor in view when steadyshot is off but then the casing would be in your peripheral I would imagine.

Cheers

Dave