sunnyape

Record light LED relay for action cameras

If you'd like to have an LED on your ringsight to know if your GoPro, ActionCam or similar is recording, here is a simple LED repeater you can make. The completed unit is about 4x5cm, so fits nicely in the space for a Dytter or similar.

Depending on how bright the rec light is on the camera, you may need to turn up the sensitivity using the variable resistor and mate / cover the LDR well to prevent external light leaking in.

I've used this on a GoPro 2 and GoPro 3, ActionCam AS30 and AZ1.

Have you tried using a light pipe?

I considered trying it, but stopped jumping a gopro.

Another really simple option that a friend has is a tiny dental mirror glued to his alti.

Nice thing about your circuit is you can up the brightness...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I made one similar 14 years ago for my PC1 and it worked great. It ran off a 9v battery and the battery lasted years.

If you could, on your diagram give a symbol key to what the different symbols are put them in laymen's terms....and where you buy them. I don't think radio shack would sell all of those parts.
my pics & stuff!

LDR is a CdS light sensor. However most light sensors will work. RS Catalog #: 2760326 is an example.

Q1 is an NPN transistor. A 2N2222 would be traditional here, but again almost any will work. Choose a physically small one.

VR1 is a 10K potentiometer.

D1 is an LED. Almost any will work. Do not use blue or white if you are going the 3V battery route.

R1 is a resistor. A 1/4 or 1/8 watt should work fine.