CCGV19

Looking at Tonkina 11-16 f/2.8 for my Tonfly 3x

I am looking at the Tonkina 11-16mm f/2.8 for my Nikon D7000 or Nikon 12-24mm or equivalent from Sigma or Tameron. Am I better off with a prime? I think my 35mm f/1.8 will be too zoomed. I have a Tonfly 3x setup with bite switch for the D7000. I will be shooting tandem and fun jumpers. Does anyone have experience with these either Nikon or cannon mounts? Good lens choice?

Does anyone go as far as jumping something like the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 is one of their most badass lens but looks really big for a skydive setup.

Thanks

There are few if any good prime lens options for DX sized sensors other than fisheyes. No use paying good money and carrying the weight of full frame glass. The Nikon 10-24 will give you the widest FOV (Sigma makes a lower quality version) and is lighter, and a little better than the older 12-24.

Nikon just released a new FX 20mm 1.8 prime that is great, but not really needed in daylight shooting. 18 to 24 mm is usually plenty wide enough for tandems, but not enough to get close to larger groups. The Tokina 11-16 has a great reputation, but I've not used it. I do have a Tokina 10-17 fisheye and software to flatten out the images, but I'm still waiting to try it out.

If you just play with an 18-55 kit zoom, you will soon find out just how wide you need to go for your work. Not the nicest toy, but light and cheap to learn from.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I use a Tonkina 12-24 mm with a Nikon D3200 and I love the pictures it takes. I also have a bite switch. I have attached a photo of my camera helmet set up and I attached a few example pics that I have taken with the lens. The lens was only $350 and goes well with the light weight of the body of the D3200. I feel it does a good job.

Photobucke</div>

Beautiful shots. I just rented the 10-24 to try as well and see which one I like better. What settings are you using on your Nikon? Those pics look great with the mountains in the background. Did you do any post production touch ups?

I have some pics that will be in December Parachutist and a couple that I edited for a buddy that flew into the demo. His shots were very dark so I had to adjust exposure and some saturation to get the colors he wanted. Do you find yourself doing a lot in post? I will have to upload my Tonfly helmet. I have the bite switch and the GoPro bracket down below in the front like yours. I plan to jump it for a while before I add a ring sight or other hardware to it.

i have a d7000 and a tokina 11-16, great lens, but heavy combo for jumping, one thing to remember is to keep the focal length as close as you can to your video setup, so you can frame the same way on both, i would use the kit 18-55 @ 18mm, actually for me when i start jumping again ill go with a point and shoot at 24-28mm with a mouth switch, much lighter and more compact than a dslr, easier on the neck, and these days you wont see any difference in quality due to the great performance you get out of a point and shoot specially as most people will only be posting online anyway :)

see pic, my old setup, bulky, uncomfortable, no need for all that these days..............

Thank you for the advice. I ended up with a Tameron 10-24 lens and kept my D7000. yes its heavy and I think for tandem I may go lighter. For personal projects I love the image quality and how fast and responsive it is. I have the Tonfly 3x and I have a little over hang. I know that I do so my approach is be aware. Pull a touch higher and be ready to grab the risers in case of a riser strike and don't be scared to cut the helmet away. I really like my set up and have been shooting at about 13 on the 10-24. Some jumps I adjust and use 24 if I am staying above a group. I have also gotten used to enough to reach up under canopy and change my zoom for some better canopy shots.

Thanks for all the help. You guys were a great sounding board and I also talked with other photographers at my DZ and attended a photo camp.