sky-pimp

GoPro Hero 4

Just found this info, not sure how old or accurate it is but thought id share. Was just on the verge of buying a 3 but as im not really jumping at the mo , probably :-) )

With a rumored release date of March 2015, here are some details that gadget geeks and sports camera enthusiasts need to know before purchasing the GoPro Hero 4 camera.

Appearance-wise, the Hero 4 will be released as a compact, lightweight but rugged action camera weighning less than 100 grams. It also comes with a special attachment fitting on anything in motion, including bikes, ski poles, cars, surfboards, kite boards, long boards, BMXs, or even helmets used in moving sports. It can be mounted on to any type of pole with a diameter ranging between 10 and 23 centimeters.

If the GoPro Hero 3 was installed with an A7, the Hero 4 allegedly has an A9 chip installed in it. This simply means that the new version of the action camera will have the ability to record 4K videos at an astounding rate of 30 frames per second. There is currently no other type of camcorder available in the market that can do this. Also, the A9 has the capacity of recording footages of 1080p at the fast rate of 120 frames per second as well as footages of 720p at the rate of 240 frames per second. This type of recording is said to end with an amazingly smooth slow motion recording because of the high frame rates.

These specs just showed that the new Hero 4 is the ideal portable camera available for capturing under water recordings as well as other extreme sports and other similar situations.

In addition, the Hero 4 will be released with a 13-megapixel photosensor as well as a new set of lenses for shooting in low-light conditions. It also includes multi-exposure capability as well as HDR WDR tone mapping, electronic image stabilization capabilities, and an improved MCTF. It features dual sensor interfaces 12-lane SLVDS/HiSPiTM/subLVDS and a 4-lane, user-friendly remote viewfinder playback.
YeHaaaaaaaaaaa

Seems like the same rumor info that has been copy and pasted to a handful of sites/blogs over the past 9 months or so. The next gopro can't be that far out, but these same rumors/info seems to make the rounds every 2-3 months.

Rumours are interesting and fun but technology does have its limits. You need a fair amount of expensive silicon to encode full 4k video. You need lots of bandwidth on your card. You need lots of power to run it all. All these things cost money. Are you willing to drop a grand on one?

-Michael

I think most of the rumors are around the chip they are supposed to be using, coupled with some conjecture and history. The chip is capable of doing the higher rate 4K etc. etc. etc. I haven't heard any credible info about the actual camera yet.

hackish

Are you willing to drop a grand on one?

Nope.

Yes, it's the same formfactor.

The first reviews are in:

http://philipbloom.net/2014/09/29/gopro4/
http://gizmodo.com/gopro-hero4-hands-on-action-cam-goes-beast-for-a-pric-1640225592

From reading everything I have mixed feelings about it.

1080p120 sounds like a killer feature, but when you look at an actual framegrab from that mode http://philipbloom.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/GOPR0627.Still004.jpg you see that the high framerate is achieved with a lower bitrate and dynamic range. Almost looks Hero2-ish in that mode :|

- new battery has less capacity
- no LCD integrated with the "black" version, though the silver version has it
- no GPS
- no IS at all

DR on 4k mode is basically a joke.
Just take a look at http://vimeo.com/107415158 and tell me it doesn't suck.

I fear that the compression is too agressive on the new model. Can maybe be fixed with a firmware update, but oh well... I somehow expected more. Not only from the specs/features, but basic things like overall picture quality.

At the moment you are not getting my 500$.
I'm waiting for more reviews and side-by-side comparisons.

I also read that the H4's don't come with the wifi remote...so looking at $600ish for a H4black and a remote.

I still want to see more hands on reviews, but from what I've seen so far, it isn't worth the cash for me to upgrade from my H3 blacks.

4K isn't worth much to me. I don't own (or know anyone who owns) a 4K monitor/display/TV. I know they are coming, but not worth 5-600 bucks for the upgrade.

120FPS is a cool feature for sure, but even now I don't often shoot at 60fps. So nice to have, but not worth the $ on the upgrade.

IS....if it had IS...it would be an upgrade that I'd probably pay the money to pick up a Silver. Right now the shorty Sony looks more appealing to me.

Just because your final output is not 4K does not mean that shooting in 4K is pointless. Best example is a photo taken by a High end slr vs a simple point and shoot and uploaded to Instagram (600x600). You still can tell the better camera. Of course dynamic range, bit rate, color correction, etc all play into the equation. Also, recording with higher res than your output will allow you to perform more cropping, pans, and other interesting camera movements and post tricks.

I have not seen the user manual yet, but seeing tidbits about electrical stabilization performed by the DSP. Electronic stabilization generally requires cropping of the FOV and in some cameras, lowers the bitrate. We've seen some nasty artifacts with Electronic stabilization in other POV and generally just turn it off.

Watch the GoPro demo video at Ultra High Def on youtube. It's no "RED", but the glacier ice climb has some awesome imagery. The contrast in the white glacier is sick for a $500 camera. I'm sold from that shot alone.

The exposure adjustment for night time lapses is pretty slick. We'll see if a nighttime star shots look as good as their demo. The nice thing about this exposure control is we can finally lock the exposure really low, so exits shots always look perfect.

[business related here]Looks like Turned On by HYPOXIC will also work with the HERO4, but until I have one, I will not know for sure. Stay Tuned /business related here
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

trunk

I have not seen the user manual yet, but seeing tidbits about electrical stabilization performed by the DSP. Electronic stabilization generally requires cropping of the FOV and in some cameras, lowers the bitrate. We've seen some nasty artifacts with Electronic stabilization in other POV and generally just turn it off.

I got an e-mail back from GoPro today - " However, the Hero4 will not have image stabilization. It will be able to capture footage faster, at a faster frame rate which may improve the shaky quality when filming at fast/ high speeds."

For me, the crop with IS is fine, and is actually what I'm looking for. Not sure I'm ready to go with an totally non CX setup just yet, but one possibility is 2 action cams- one wide and one a little more tight. IMO, the gopros look pretty good on wide (thats what i use for my backup now), and some of the footage I have seen on the medium setting is judgable...but very shaky compared to even a non BOSS sony with electronic IS. So for me, 2 action cams, one wide without IS, and one a little tighter with IS could be perfect.

The 4 looks like a really nice camera for sure, and if I didn't have action cams i'd probably get one, but for me right now it isn't worth the price just for upgrade from my current 3 blacks.

They have been out of stock for the last few times i've checked, but you might keep your eye on this http://shop.gopro.com/cameras/refurbished-hero3-black/CHDNH-B05.html

This is the way I picked up my second Hero3 Black. Came with all the accessories, and in 100% new condition (at least mine was) for ~250 bucks from GoPro.

Maybe the 3+ will end up in t here soon. Normal link is at the bottom of gopro.com - referb cameras.

I shot this with my Hero 4 Black. It is just a quick edit playing around on my first day jumping with it. I shot all of the jumps in 1080 x 120. There are some random spots of slow motion just to try it out. This is not a formal review or display of editing...just goofing around but I thought you all might like to see some real world samples. It was crummy weather also. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opkoPijYh1k&list=UUN7Mbdw6XrIPZQOJxA_Ex6Q
Chad B Hall
Woo hoo!
My goal is to make every jump a fun and safe one. Blue skies!
Some of my videos...

Do you know if they have sped up the image capture rate for the simultaneous video and photo feature? On the 3 Black it is 1 photo every 5 seconds during video recording. I'm hoping the 4 can do one photo every second or 2 for shooting tandem Handcam. Thanks

They have not.
It's still every 5 seconds. Strange that they did not boost this option too.

I have read rumors that the reason is 4k.
Basicly, if you record in 4k you have 8 M pictures 30 times a second.
So you could get a screengrab and get the 'perfect' picture.

I do not agree with that. Rather pictures and video.