RMK

Sony AZ1VR Action Cam

OzzieDave

Using the AS100 not the AZ1VR but in the AS100 manual it says you need SDXC (not HC) cards. I don't know if sandisk sent me a few bad cards or what but their cards corrupted after only a handful of uses (they did warranty them) but while I waited I picked up the Lexar professional cards (black and blue 633X 64Gb SDXC variety) and only format in camera and have had no issues. I only record on the Pro mode (xvac s) for work.

ok, thanks for that... new cards are on order

Dokeman

is that with or without steady shot?

Without. If you use steady shot, you can't have the 170 degree FOV. When steady is enabled, you're limited to 140 degrees. I tried one jump uding steadyshot just because I was hopeful, but I only had the student's head and shoulders in the shot. It wasn't wide enough for HC use, IMO.

Chris

I have just been comparing my footage of the weekend's jumping and have noticed that the footage between a naked AS30 and an AZ1 with the hard lens protector fitted were slightly different.

I've run some basic testing and have found that fitting the hard lens protector adds a small amount of extra zoom to the video and photos (see attached screen grabs). The hard lens protector doesn't seem to have an effect on focus or colour balance.

I also put the hard lens protector on the AS30 and got the same result in video and picture mode.

I have just done some comparison of the footage I took on the weekend between an AZ1 and AS30.

The HQ mode (1080p at 30fps) video from the AZ1 has mild jello effect in the background, as did the HQ mode video from the AS30. However, the PS mode (1080p 60fps) video from the AS30 doesn't show any jello effect. This was with the anti-shake feature turned on for all modes on both cameras.

Since both cameras are hard mounted to the helmet in a similar way, it would seem the wind induced vibration must be closer to 30hz than 60hz, so filming at 60fps makes it less obvious. I didn't get a chance to run the AZ1 in PS mode, but will do so when filming the same team in a fortnight, just to confirm this.

I've read other articles on using a neutral density filter to trick the camera into using a slower shutter speed. I guess the theory is the same in that you are trying to get the rolling shutter away from refreshing at a frequency close to any vibration the camera is subject to (as people mouting GoPros to drones have noticed).

I'll purchase an ND filter this weekend and find a way to mount it on the AZ1 to see if that has an effect, as I would prefer to capture the RW footage in 30fps to keep the file size down and make playback a bit less taxing on my laptop. Not sure yet if the RW judges will accept 60fps footage, so will have to ask about that before comp in a few months.

sunnyape

I have just done some comparison of the footage I took on the weekend between an AZ1 and AS30.

The HQ mode (1080p at 30fps) video from the AZ1 has mild jello effect in the background, as did the HQ mode video from the AS30. However, the PS mode (1080p 60fps) video from the AS30 doesn't show any jello effect. This was with the anti-shake feature turned on for all modes on both cameras.

Since both cameras are hard mounted to the helmet in a similar way, it would seem the wind induced vibration must be closer to 30hz than 60hz, so filming at 60fps makes it less obvious. I didn't get a chance to run the AZ1 in PS mode, but will do so when filming the same team in a fortnight, just to confirm this.

I've read other articles on using a neutral density filter to trick the camera into using a slower shutter speed. I guess the theory is the same in that you are trying to get the rolling shutter away from refreshing at a frequency close to any vibration the camera is subject to (as people mouting GoPros to drones have noticed).

I'll purchase an ND filter this weekend and find a way to mount it on the AZ1 to see if that has an effect, as I would prefer to capture the RW footage in 30fps to keep the file size down and make playback a bit less taxing on my laptop. Not sure yet if the RW judges will accept 60fps footage, so will have to ask about that before comp in a few months.

what EXACT memory card is everyone using with these cams? im using the samsung card and im having a lot of videos get corrupted.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

During the week I purchased a new micro SDXC card for my AZ1.

I spoke to the guy at the shop and, as he explained, SDXC cards are not faster than SDHC cards, just more capacity. The 'HC' stands for 'High Capacity' (16-32Gb) and the 'XC' stands for 'eXtended Capacity' (32+Gb)

The class of the card is what matters when recording video at higher rates

The HC range goes up to Class10. Then, within the XC range, they are classed as UHC class, either 1 or 3. This article explains it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_class_rating

BUMP
I got a AZ1 super cheap, I planned on getting Go pro 4 anyway for jumping but after reading about some issues people are having I think I will just use AZ1 for for now. I would really apprieciate it if people could post pictures of how they mount their AZ1s, I'm mostly intressted in top mounts, really don't want that thing ripped off by a riser:P

This may be helpful....:)
http://www.cnet.com/videos/sonys-little-action-cam-mini-has-big-features-and-performance/

So, now my question is, which is better for skydive footage? AV1 or AS100? It sounds as if the AV1, although 1/3 smaller, is a step down from the larger AS100. Has anyone done a comparison on image quality or battery life?

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

skyjumpenfool

This may be helpful....:)
http://www.cnet.com/videos/sonys-little-action-cam-mini-has-big-features-and-performance/

So, now my question is, which is better for skydive footage? AV1 or AS100? It sounds as if the AV1, although 1/3 smaller, is a step down from the larger AS100. Has anyone done a comparison on image quality or battery life?

Yes, Az1 is a step down. Watch the review :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2zRz-QHGGc