mircan

Jumping camera form fast tailgates (AN-26)

Three things to think about here:

1) Camera/Helmet security (mounts on cameras secure, chin cup not so loose that it levers off your head)

2) Get small, get small. If you're chasing tandems or other heavy objects with small surface area expect to track your face off towards the subject. (I think of it as chasing it under the A/C). A head down exit can help with this as well (if you're a freeflyer).

3) Rig security and handle checks. At 150kts a premature deployment of either canopy is going to hurt really bad and could lead to a catastrophic neck injury. Your gear MUST be tight.

I've done camera jumps from C-130's with exit speeds in the same neighborhood. As long as you keep the wings folded and everything is secure it should be no issue. Fun part is decelerating to terminal after coming off the hill.

Never jumped this A/C but it should be pretty cool.

Have fun,

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

I`m supposed to film some belly formation so I`m not expecting too muck vertical speed difference.

Helmet is FTP, so it is tight as it gets.
But still camera is EOS400 on quick-release and it holds on by just camera screw. Maybe I`ll skip it this time.

So, just to tuck wings in on exit? They are not going to rip my arms off if I somehow spread them...? :S

dudeist skydiver #42

He may have been talking about horizontal coverage, not vertical. As you probably know, when chasing a tandem with a long drogue delay, or a formation that funnels, they fly horizontally away from you(cutting int to the hill). On faster exits, the distance they can get away from you, and the time it takes them to get there can be pretty quick.

I typically don't think about tracking in those situations (tracking takes me up, not forward on the hill). I think about getting small and arching into the hill as much as I can. I think maybe the head down exit he mentioned would also have that effect.

Must be the language barrier... I got it the first time, but thanks. I have more horizontal speed than small, heavy objects/formation, hence more horizontal separation.
Still, because heavy things fall more vertically and gain speed more faster, vertical separation can be expected in that case also. So one must cover both axis. As with heavy tandems.

Anyway, wings and Flat Top Pro should be OK?
dudeist skydiver #42

On a related note, I may have the chance to do tandems from a C-130 in the near future. Anyone have any input on what to watch out for on them?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

All went well. Got small, wings closed, elbows tucked, last jump with still camera (kit lens though)...
I must say, it was AWESOME!
Exits were like 3 feet drop in dead air, and then stream hits you like speeding train. 80 meters per second. Nice :)Thank you all.
I attached couple of photos.
Cheers! :D
[inline AN-26.jpg]
[inline fog.jpg]
[inline speed.jpg]
[inline exit01.jpg]
[inline exit02.jpg]
[inline 8way.jpg]

dudeist skydiver #42

For people that don`t know, the fogging appears when they depressurize the cabin (6500 ft > 15000 ft). After second or two you can`t even see people sitting across you. Once the door is open, it clears. Couple of people on the load never knew this is going to happen so it got interesting ;)

dudeist skydiver #42