gilead1

Sony A6000 for tandem?

hi,
My Canon d500 dies on me and I'm thinking to go mirrorles.
few questions:
1. Does anyone use the A 6000 with Sony 16mm pancake lans?
2. how is the 16mm pancake compering to the kit lans?
3. what switch/ adapter do you use?

Thanks
Gilead

I use an A6000 for sky, BASE, and paragliding/speedflying. It works great. I have the 16mm pancake as well as the 0.75x adapter for a 12mm equivalent, which is close to a Gopro perspective.

The 16mm pancake is fair bit sharper and has more contrast than the kit lens. More importantly, it's tiny and doesn't move when you focus or zoom. The kit lens extends and is kinda flimsy.

I use Martin/Exit Equipment's tongue switch with a hacked up release cable (http://www.amazon.com/Mudder-Multi-terminal-DSC-RX100M3-DSC-RX100M2-DSC-RX100III/dp/B00L7O2AGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408857827&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+a6000+trigger) that I converted to be a right angle micro USB plug. Martin's cable is the best, but it's kinda pricey.

The A6000's 1080/60p is gorgeous and the AF for stills or video is the best I've found for this application. Highly recommended.

photognat

with a hacked up release cable that I converted to be a right angle micro USB plug.

can you describe / have some pics of your mod?

i hacked a Sony RMVPR1 to have a biteswitch for stills and for an external switch for the record button if i use it in video mode

thanks for tip photognat,
i will try them and if they prove to be suitable for modding
and can find stable source of them for similar price
(this one seems to be clearance for 25% of original price)
i will sure lower price of MULTI terminal accessories.
my pictures

I use the manual setting to get the exposure within the ballpark at a fairly narrow aperture and a fast shutter speed (f9ish at 1/1000ish) and then I leave the ISO on auto so that it can adapt a little if clouds come in and change the lighting.

Focus area is set to wide and continuous focus.

The only other thing to think about is that 11 frames per second can overload the buffer fairly easily so make sure you get the fastest card you can get. My SD card is rated to 95 mb/sec and I've found that shooting 12mpxl JPEGs lets me shoot freely. You can also up the resolution to 24 mpxl if you slow the frame rate down to the medium setting.

Does anyone else do something different?

(Edit to add: I use the 16mm pancake and exit equipment switch as well. As far as I'm concerned there's no reason to jump a DSLR anymore)

I think you will be very happy with it.

I'm shooting a sony mirrorless (3N) with the pancake 20mm.

I killed my Exit Equipment plug, and soldered the 90 degree plug into a Conceptus tongue switch I had laying around. Note- standard micro USB plugs will not work.

Thinking of upgrading to the 6000 next season.

It's not that hard to do and that is the we all did it back in the day. Only thing is you will hard pressed to find a right angle multi plug. Sky switches makes a good looking one. Or you can get a multi plug with trigger for about nine bucks on amazon, buy two and cut one up solder it to the mouth trigger. I prefer the ultimate blow switch.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo