virgin-burner

mac; is it worth the trouble?

well, long-time pc-user here - and my laptop is about to die.

i'm looking at them macbook air and pro's, IF, i think i'll decide for the 13" pro with 256gb SSD and 8gb RAM.

i've only ever surfed on mac's, never "worked" with one; not much you can do wrong there.

so anyway, as i got into photography and video as of late, i'm thinking it might be cool to do PP'ing and editing on a mac.

does the pro fullfill my needs, should i get another windows-machine? much re-learning to do?

because of my accident, i'm looking at another two or even more weeks of "free" time, learning "mac" for the time being sounds ok-ish to me..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

You'll desperately search for the right mouse clicker for the first week or two.

It is same shit. Different book cover. I only bought MAC since it looks and feels better. Now that I'm used to the system, I'll probably buy another mac next time.

As far as the computer malfunctioning goes. I never had trouble with my PC, until I started to download stuff off from limewire.

With my new MAC, I never even attempted to download anything illegal.

I use my old PC for downloading purposes only. Once it crashes, I'll throw in rebooting disk and start over again.

In fact, bad thing about MAC is that if this ever crashes, I'll have to bring it to the MAC center.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I like Macs but use PCs mostly because of work. One thing that Windows and Andriod laptops have these days are touch screens. I have a Dell XPS 12 (a 12-inch convertible laptop to tablet) and a Dell M3800 (a large 15.4-inch touch screen I use for work) and they are AWESOME.

Lots of people I know really like being able to sort of do both things. Have an really light, thin laptop (they call the Ultrabooks) and a touch screen.

Another bonus is there is a lot more software for PCs than Macs.

That being said, an iPad is a beautiful device and I use them often.

Whichever route you go, if you're looking to do photo and/or video editing have a look into Adobe's subscription model for their products. For $50/month I have every single Adobe product (Photoshop included). It's awesome. I think they have it for Macs too.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

stayhigh

You'll desperately search for the right mouse clicker for the first week or two.

It is same shit. Different book cover. I only bought MAC since it looks and feels better. Now that I'm used to the system, I'll probably buy another mac next time.

As far as the computer malfunctioning goes. I never had trouble with my PC, until I started to download stuff off from limewire.

With my new MAC, I never even attempted to download anything illegal.

I use my old PC for downloading purposes only. Once it crashes, I'll throw in rebooting disk and start over again.

In fact, bad thing about MAC is that if this ever crashes, I'll have to bring it to the MAC center.

knowing it wont do me any good, i'm STILL looking for the right-click-mouse-thingy..

never wanted an iphone; until the day i got one - now i dont want anything BUT yet another iphone!

illegal stuff - well, i'll like my movies off from torrents just as much as i did with my PC's..

all in all, for you, tumps up or thumps down for mac's!?
(coming from a place very near by you..)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Been using Macs since the very first one. Used a lot of PCs in that time as well... given the choice I choose mac. The best part about a mac these days is that if you absolutely have to have a windows machine, you can install it on a mac too. Best of both worlds.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

I have the 13 inch pro retina

I think its perhaps the best laptop in the market right now. I highly recommend. Theres no way I would go back to windows machines.

I like the 13 inch over the 15 inch because its easy to carry. At home or work you may add 2x 4k displays if you wish.

I have the exact model you're looking at. It's my first Mac, I'm a long-time PC user. For the first week, there was a lot of frustration and cursing. Oh, was there ever cursing. I suffered buyer's remorse and had printed the return shipping labels to send the thing back. After the first week, I got to know it better and decided to keep it, and now everything is fine. There are some minor things I don't like about the design, but I'm happy with it. The Retina screen is the best part. I could never go back to a standard screen, just like after you try HDTV, you can't go back to SDTV.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

I actually think that OSX is much easier to use than windows. I only needed to learn how to use the touchpad and some other things like how to take a screenshot and so on. After that I had no trouble adapting to OSX. Never felt like cursing. On the contrary, I was in awe how well designed the OS is. Everything just works. No need to install add ons and drivers, like in windows.

Get it. OS-X is a fantastic OS, way easier to use, way more fun to use than Windows. It will take you some time and effort to get to know it, and certainly a fair bit of frustration, but while you get the hang of it you will never want to switch back again. And the hardware is just beautifully designed and crafted.

Photo-related software works the same as on Windows, except some keys being switched - think of my words when you first quit your browser trying to type an email adress for the fist time ;)

Oh, and for the right-click just tap the touchpad with both fingers. Btw, you will simply love the touchpad and gestures!

RMK

I like this comparison of Mac & PCs:

The person who made that photo obviously doesnt know what PC stands for. Quote from Wiki:

"A personal computer (PC) is a general-purpose computer, whose size, capabilities and original sale price makes it useful for individuals, and is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator."

1) Mac is a PC
2) The large hadron is the opposite of a PC

Are you one of those old people who can't use any other operating system besides Windows XP?

Let's face it, one day these young self absorbed kids are going to get old and the operating system will change.

and one day even younger kid who are going to be using some other shit are going to call Mac users the dinosaur and make fun of them.

Perhaps Microsoft might get back into leadership position again. It might be something completely different we will never know.

No one thought that Macintosh will become so successful back in early 90's. Apple was seriously rotting at the time, and Windows 95 kicked ass.

Fuck it, we should all go back to using MS-DOS.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

stayhigh

Perhaps Microsoft might get back into leadership position again. It might be something completely different we will never know.

No one thought that Macintosh will become so successful back in early 90's. Apple was seriously rotting at the time, and Windows 95 kicked ass.

To nitpick your comment, Mac is still only about 5% of the personal computer market, with Windows having over 90%. Mac is more successful than in the past, is still small enough that many software companies just ignore the platform's existence. Apple has done very well mostly because of its other devices.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

stayhigh

I guess, me and all of my friends are in that 5%. Weird.

You know its weird how 90% of the students in our university library have Mac laptops. I was thinking how could this be possible, since the percentage should be the other way around.

But I quickly realized the reason, after all Im a mac user my self: Our student library is accompanied by a large learning centre with IT facilities for hundreds of students. The computers in the IT facilities are windows machines. The people who own windows laptops, leave their laptops at home and rather use the desktop machines, since after all desktop beats a laptop in many ways.

However, the people who have mac´s rather use their own computers. I personally couldnt even think about using a windows machine nowadays. Once you go mac, you never go back!