gubitarr

Anyone shooting video with Canon DLSR (t3i)?

I am thinking about going to the T3I canon to shoot video instead of my outdated CX100. I am wandering if there is some kind of Indicator / remote that is available? Tricks or hacks for hypeye?
What I would like to do ideally is to shoot the video and pull the stills from the raw files instead of wearing 2 separate cameras.

First of all - I do not use my DSLR to film in freefall but without any question it's quite common and maybe there is some hypeye modification....
What I see critical in drawing stills from the raw video file is the longer exposure time you are usually going to have during filming in comparison to just shooting stills and I am not sure if it will be sufficient to get acceptably sharp/unshaky pictures, while the reduced resolution might still be ok for tandem pictures (even if a litte bit on the low side). But hey, give it a try! I would be interested to see some results.
Nice words are not always true - and true words are not always nice.

I've considered it. But decided not to, due to rolling shutter effect. If you haven't heard of it, do a youtube search.
Try doing some quick panning on the ground with the camera and see if you are willing to risk having the roll on your video. It might not be a problem for you. Especially if you are always mellow with your camera movements.

How do you focus? Auto? Manual (using hyperfocal)?
What are most used settings (aperture, shutter speed, iso)?

Online sources suggest using shutter speed that is double framerate (1/48 - 1/50), is this OK for starting point?
dudeist skydiver #42

We used manual focus, shutter, and aperture with auto ISO.
We also shot the video at 60 frames per second, so the shutter was at 1/120sec.
In the past I shot some production stuff at 24p and one occasion the director specifically asked me for 1/48sec shutter... Works great on the ground, but can be too jittery in freefall. (It is possible though if the jump is smooth and don't have to chase the subject constantly). So the 1/120sec is a better option IMO (director liked it too).

So what did you use for a remote or indicator light? Did you even use one or just have someone check and turn it on before exit?
I filmed this jump (https://vimeo.com/107067910) and thats how I got the idea to try and shoot with DSLR and pull stills later.
The problem is I cant always have a tech or helper on the plane with me to turn on the cam and make sure it is rolling.

I have been tripped up by it before - thinking it's on and it's not. I think if the camera has been off for a while the first button press wakes it up from being 'asleep' and then you need to press it again.

I just start recording and check it myself before I put on my helmet.

Nice!
if you have a chance to shoot with a RED then you don't need an DSLR... :)Yeh, DSLRs can provide a lot better "cine look" than video cameras while they're significantly cheaper, smaller and lighter than a RED, but that changes very rapidly.
DSE is the man to give enlightenment on that...

In our DSLR shoot we just made sure the on the Canon 5D MkIIIs the record button is pressed and recording is confirmed by the designated person before climb out. Those plans were made on the ground already.

On the 5D MkIII if you take a still during video there will be a 1 sec freeze frame in every still you take. Pulling a frame from a 1080p compressed video even if it's "all I frame" isn't that great. Frame grabs are becoming descent at 4K resolution preferably from uncompressed or RAW video. I have experience with that using Blackmagic Design Cine 4K camera. On the RED Epic the results should be even better, on the new 6K Dragon the frames should be awesome (18-19MP resolution)