chrisward3

Camera Setup & Nikon

Looking for some info on a camera setup based on a Nikon body (as my ground-photography is Nikon-based).

Im thinking D90-ish for something that I dont mind getting banged up a little in the plane and are relatively cheap used. Big question is what lens to go with. I see most using fisheye, but was wondering what other lenses would do the trick.

If you have a similar setup, please post pics and info so I can get an idea of what to piece together (in addition to talking to local camera-dudes).

Cheers!

I can't help on the Nikon side, but for the lens selection-

What type of stills will you be taking?

My main lens on my APSC camera is a 20mm prime. It matches up pretty well with my .5x lens on my video camera, and works well for outside video. I don't shoot tandems often, but IMO it works well for that as well.

For me the prime is nice because it is small, fast, and I like the 20mm as a general focal length.

The "kit" lenses can be nice too. There are times when being wider or tighter can give a cool effect. Attaching a few pics with the 20mm, and also some with the kit lens zoomed into 50mm.

Attaching some tandem, 4 way, on level 2 way, and 50mm pics for examples.

For really close inside footage, something wider than 20mm up through your fisheye lenses can be really nice. But you have to be close to keep the subjects from being really small.

I like the DoF with that 20mm, and just checking it out on ebay, are relatively cheap compared to fisheyes. Have you locked the focus ring, or letting the camera AF for each shot?

This setup will be mainly for tandem, with a gopro for video.

With a rawa helmet, what kind of mounts would be needed for a DSLR? And to complete the camera setup, i'd be looking for advice on tongue switches, ring sights, etc...

I've been shooting with auto focus, and having really good results.

The mounts I am using right now are 2 Cookie Flat locks on top, and an XShut on the front of a Flattop Pro. I'm not sure what would fit or work best with your Rawa. If you are using an Image, I would think any of those mounts would work.

I like the conceptus tongue switch, but there are some other good ones out there too. I use a cross style ring sight, only because I've been told if I ever try the concentric rings, I won't be able to go back to the cross ;) .

Many of the Nikon bodies won't accept a wired shutter switch, just the wireless remote. I use a D5000, which is fairly cheap used now. It's lighter than a D90 because it lacks a focus motor. Which means you can only auto focus with S type lenses. I use either the kit 18-55 zoom, usually set at about 22mm, or a very wide Tokina 10-17 fisheye set to manual focus, and flatten out the image with software if needed.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Mostly the entry level D3000 series, and the older D60, D50 and D40. Even the ones that can use a wired switch use an oddball plug that is shared with the GPS accessory.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Mostly the entry level D3000 series, and the older D60, D50 and D40. Even the ones that can use a wired switch use an oddball plug that is shared with the GPS accessory.

I've jumped a D70, D70s, D80, D200, D300 and now a D3200. I know a D3100 is also being jumped at my DZ. All have wired remotes except for the first one the D70. If you want a remote for canon or nikon other than the standard canon entry level remote, you have to know where to order them, but f.i. Laszlo on here sells wired remotes for D3000-series that work just fine :)
I do prefer the round-type sturdier remote plugs that the pro(sumer) nikons and canons use for jumping, but switched to the D3200 for the weight. Manual focus of course but this doesn't matter when you use a 10.5 or 16mm fisheye like I do.

So yes, entry level nikon dslrs are fine to jump.

There are just 4 really really old nikon cameras where you'd have to rig up the ir remote to a switch for jumping (been there, done that, not recommended for working jumps).

ciel bleu,
Saskia