3mpire

FTP + 2 flatlock mounts + hypeye

I'm building my first "serious" camera helmet for filming 4way FS, and I'm looking for some info on configurations that have already proven effective.

Any FTP camera flyers out there have some good pictures that show howbest to organize a multi CX100 setup with 2x liquid flatlocks and hypeyes?

I have seen a few photos of this setup and a few in person at a distance but i'm interested in a more detailed breakdown.

I've seen something similar to this:

[inline diagram.gif]

What I'm not clear on is how the hypeye is integrated into this kind of setup. What is a good placement for the hypeye buttons?

The peeks I've gotten at this type of setup has the wires going down into the single hole drilled in the top plate. Where the buttons are from there wasn't clear to me.

I've seen this config with buttons on the plate (both taped and drilled in) and I've seen them with the buttons mounted in the side of the helmet.
I've modified my Hypeye to have a different sort of momentary SPST switch on it, as it took less room in the helmet, and I wanted to be able to fit it into an area that the HypEye wouldn't fit.
In other words, there are so many possibilities, but the most flexible, IMO, is to tape down or find another means of mounting down the HypEye's to the plate itself.

That's great feedback, my plan is to go the gaffer tape route as that really was what i was hoping for. Less holes is probably for the best. I'll followup with a photo post to this thread once I have finalized it so future users who find this via search can see the outcome.

My first suggestion is to rethink the cx series. I would suggest going with the sony hdr-as100. smaller lighter, and removes the need for a hypeye. The fov is adjustable but you will need to fly a little closer than say a cx with a .5 lens. Make no mistake the type of lens you are flying will make a huge difference in the video quality as well as what is in frame. Make sure to use a HD lens or else why use the cx in the first place :P. And no Royal, and Liquid are not hd lens. (sorry sidetrack).

However if you are dead set on using the cx setup, It depends if you are using a flat top pro or a vapor pro. The vapor has a much larger plate, so you have more room to play. Another advantage to the Vapor is the upper portion can house the hyp-eye without disturbing the padding inside the helmet. This would put the buttons high and on the sides of the helmet. This would also prevent you from mistaking one button for the other. The flat top pro has a smaller plate so I mounted mine under the plate with just the button exposed in the front under and in front of the lens.

I have used both FTP and Vapor before. If you have questions just PM me.

Awesome feedback -- I have seen the hdr-as100 but never really considered it. I will look into this more.

For now, I have two cx 100s, one flatlock, and one hypeye so all I need to complete my kit is get another flatlock/hypeye.

With so many tandems moving to handmount go pros, its a buyers market on cx100s.

I can get two cx100s for half the cost of a new gopro black. ive had bad luck with gopros lasting more than a season, and the cx series has handy things like video playback, fastforward, etc.

I'm not looking for HD quality per se just good enough so a judge can accurately score a FS jump.

I got a good deal on a lightly used FTP, so that's the platform I'm going to start with. the seller has a larger top plate but couldn't find it, so it's possible if it turns up i'll be able to have more room.

The flat top pro has a smaller plate so I mounted mine under the plate with just the button exposed in the front under and in front of the lens.

Does this mean you drilled a hole in the plate for just the button to be exposed? What size hole makes for the best fit -- i've heard that if the hole is too big when you push the button the whole unit can kind of sink.

is there is a perfect size hole (or maybe using something like a gasket to help make it fit tight?)

If you are on a "serious" FS team, image quality can make a difference in viewing grips in slow motion, meaning points can be made or broken with higher resolution video.

With the FTP I never had good luck mounting a hyp-eye under the plate as the way its shape. It doesn't mount well from underneath leaving only the button exposed. I tried tape, gasket maker, zip ties. Nothing held the buttons securely in place they always sank back into the helmet. In my FTP I used cam-eyes with an adapter to work in the cx series cameras. However the adapter I had was a poor one. When using it if you spun the adapter when it was plugged in you lost contact and the indicator light would go out.

Great info thank you for sharing. We are serious enough to train in the tunnel ~1 hour a month and participate in NSL meets but we don't travel and won't look to go to nationals until next year, so for now I'll go with the cx and get my feet wet but it's good advice on the importance of quality and judging.

One of the reasons i went with the FTP aside from a fair price was the idea that I could use the platform in various configurations without having to struggle to make it all fit. I'll keep my eyes out for steals on other cameras and snap some up if I can.

WRT the hypeye buttons, that was my fear. It really seems like I'll just go with gaffer tape on the plate rather than trying to mount them in a hole drilled into the plate or helmet.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=143168;

I mounted my hypeyes on the side near the front of the helmet. Seems to be plenty of room to under mount them there (thin aluminum (ok ok.. i cut up a damn coke can) strips secure them via the 2 screws you can see on either side of the hypeye.

As far as where to mount the flat locks- Mock it up first with any lens or other setups you may be using to make sure you don't have the bottom plate in the field of view. I also wanted to leave enough space to mount a GoPro. This year, I'm using the gopro as the second camera, instead of 2 CX's.

I mounted my hypeyes on the side near the front of the helmet. Seems to be plenty of room to under mount them there (thin aluminum (ok ok.. i cut up a damn coke can) strips secure them via the 2 screws you can see on either side of the hypeye.

clever solution! what diameter hole did you make?

A 5/8 hole I believe, The problem with any size hole is eventually it will push through and the pressing is a bit spongy feeling because of the lack of support. I made a sheet metal backing plate approximately 3/8" (9.5mm) wide that is U shaped with two flanges to bolt to and secure the button to the underside of the top plate for a very solid fix and the actual button press is just a touch as a micro switch should be. And use soap to get the button protector through that hole, It's a bitch, and don't let it fool you into thinking it dont need support :)

9/16 hole maybe? You can measure the small part of the protector ...
The end result is directly connected to the effort applied