skydivebb

Tandem Video Template

Wondering if any editors are using a template in Vegas/Movie Studio? How did you set it up for click and drag of the same clips? I'm looking to take the editing down to a few minutes. What about online services for tandem videos? Any luck with them?
Facebook.com/SeamlessRigging

Templates can be done with Movie Studio, but there's a lot more clicking and typing required in MS as opposed to using Vegas Pro + Production Assistant.

I can send you a sample template tomorrow that you can test out with MS.

The decision between MS and Pro really comes down to how many videos you'll be editing on a busy Sat. If it's 4-6 then MS is fine. If it's 7+ then I'd say my time is worth the expense to upgrade to Pro, making each edit faster.

Steps you'll need to do manually in MS, but which are auto in Pro:

- open whichever template file you want to use
- select the clips from card, copy them to hard drive, creating a folder for them to stay in
- drag the files onto the timeline
- make those files intersect your template just right
- after editing, save the project as a new file, so your template doesn't get overwritten
- after editing manually choose rendering options (instead of just hitting "process" in Production Assistant

Vegas and Production Assistant is the best solution if you're looking for 'real' automation and editing down to a 'few minutes'.

We use it at my DZ, and our customers leave with video and stills in hand after their jump. I can hit the packing floor on a 16 minute call, drop my rig, run upstairs, edit, burn, run back downstairs, deliver, and be shooting my next interview by the 8 minute call.

One of my full time guys can do that, AND PACK.

Sony sells a (somewhat!) less expensive version of Vegas called Vegas Edit that doesn't include all the bells and whistles, but would work fine in conjunction with PA. You'd need to purchase DVD Architect separately or use the version that come with Movie Studio though...

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

There is definitely a common thread with using Vegas Pro + Production assistant. I have also found Swoopware and Peregrine but it looks as if they would be slightly slower. If there is any more info out there please let me know. I've learned alot so far and looking to learn more. Thanks everyone
Facebook.com/SeamlessRigging

I looked at both of those systems, and they both look good too! One of our pilots has used Swoopware back when he shot video at another DZ, and spoke super highly of it. I didn't care for Peregrine's licensing model, but it has some really nice features!

I think properly implemented any of the three will work well, but there just wasn't any reason for us to change from the Vegas/PA system we were already using, especially with the improvements they made to PA version 2. It's a pretty efficient system.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

bwilling

You'd need to purchase DVD Architect separately or use the version that come with Movie Studio though...

It's good that you mentioned the Vegas Pro Edit version: cheaper, and many DZs no longer need a DVD authoring app because they're delivering on thumb drives these days.

The licensing model for Peregrine is very funky (and makes it quite expensive over time).

Production Assistant (developed by me, with a lot of input from Parachutist/Chris Warnock as it evolved from being a broadcast-only tool to a skydiving tool) is a Sony product, has Sony support, and is a one-off purchase. You don't need to wait for someone to get down from a load to get support.

Production Assistant is the original automation tool for Sony Vegas, all the others took their featureset from it.