ridebmxbikes

sit-fly jacket instead of wings?

hey all! I'm a new videographer! I'm 5'5" and 130lbs. i started filming tandems a couple of months ago and found a tandem can actually out float me! ran into the gear store and found a sit-fly jacket that gave me the extreme slow range for some of them guys.

my problem is, is that i think i lost my extreme fast fall range (150-160mph) for the heavy guys even with a couple of extra pounds than what i usually wear with them. I've even done 160mph with no weight on and kept up.

do any of you think i may not be able to shut down the arms enough? do any of you have that problem with a camera jacket with wings? maybe i should just get a real camera jacket?

thanks in advance for your replies!

Get a wing jacket.

the is so much more range with wings. I can film anything from a 50kg tandem master with a 43kg passenger to a 105kg tandem master with 95 kilos on the front.

flying in head up is the best for sure. you can get right underneath the slow ones which is not so easy on your belly, and for the fast ones you can get rid of the drag by bringing your elbows in and getting your feet right under you.

It does take some practice but after a short while you will find much more range in head up than in belly.

You can also practice folding the wings in and flying more with your back and head for drag and presenting for grips on the medium speed ones, which helps your head up flying on freefly jumps.

Go front float as well. ;)

I believe it was the legend Mike McGowan who once said "If you can't fly like Joe F Jennings, you're gonna wear wings."

Most camera pro's wear wings. If not for providing support with lighter tandems/subjects, then for providing a support for knee-deep, head up flying and significantly greater range.

They also allow for a more stable platform.
One thing that irks me is seeing tandem video from a flier wearing a freefly suit that is indeed in place, but bouncing all over the map to STAY in place.

Ha, thanks for your replies guys. I guess im gonna have to bite yhe bullet and save for some wings.

I do find myself in the knee low position but still have no idea how im getting into it. I just know when i do fall into it its really comfortable to film in.

Haha, i tried that front float exit, it gave me an awesome exit shot of the tandems face with the plane in the back round but they quickly got away from me. Had to fly super fast back to them and didnt do the pop up for the drogue shot for more face time.

Thanks again guys!

Haha, i tried that front float exit, it gave me an awesome exit shot of the tandems face with the plane in the back round but they quickly got away from me. Had to fly super fast back to them and didn't do the pop up for the drogue shot for more face time.

This is where the wings (and a bit of a back track for a couple of seconds) will help you and a bit of practice you will simply stay with them the whole time.

Nice one!B|