jumps13

Go Pro 3+ on a Cookie G3: Advice/Suggestions

I need help in deciding how to best mount my GP3+ to a Cookie G3. I have tried to data mine all the posts that I have seen and still have some questions/concerns. Below are my goals and questions. I am trying to have it all even if I know I can't.

Endstate/Goal: A mount that is stable on the G3 and when the Go Pro is not mounted I am able to raise the visor with the base mount still attached, if at all possible, as I do not own the helmet or mount yet and am looking to purchase based on comments.

Questions:
1. what feedback does anyone have on the Cookie Roller or Go Pro Swivel mount when on a G3 or other camera?
2. How much clearance is there when the Camera or mount is not fully attached? Can the visor be opened?
3. Are there better mounts than the roller and swivel mount that still offer low profile snag protection?
4. On the G3 is the liner easily removable or will I have to pull it away from the body breaking a glue seal much like the Z1 or ROK?

Any other advice or comments are welcome thanks for taking the time to read and offer suggestions and advice.

ALOHA
B|

I'll bite on#2 and#4
#2 depends on where you mount the sticky. Right on top the visor will open about2" with a camera on it, without a Cabrera it will open all the way.There is also a lense mount option. But neither of these will remove the shake from your video. It's the loose fitting liner of the helmet that causes this. You need a ratcheting strap to tighten down the helmet to your melon.

#4 the liner is held in by velcro, but the mouthpiece is glued in. You can remove the whole thing, but you will have to get some shoe goo and reglue the bottom of the mouthpiece.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

No experience with the roller mount but ive mounted a few standard mounts on g3's.

Put the helmet on and raise your visor till your vision is unobstructed. If you look up you should only be able to see the edge of the visor. Once you have your visor adjusted, Take the helmet off and put the sticky with the camera mounted on it up to the edge of the top of your visor. Center your placement from side to side and stick the sticky. Now you have an unobstructed view when your camera is mounted. When you un mount the camera the visor will go all the way back as normal. Be sure to clean the mounting surface of the helmet first before sticking and let the sticky mount cure at the very least overnight before use. This is only the system i use to install them and its worked for me and a few others.

I use the roller mount (with Go Pro 2)

1. what feedback does anyone have on the Cookie Roller or Go Pro Swivel mount when on a G3 or other camera?
2. How much clearance is there when the Camera or mount is not fully attached? Can the visor be opened?

1. Loving it, consistent camera angle and got rid of lines getting under the mount after landing (hopefully will prevent such things on opening).
A little bit of a hassle with the hexagonal screw, seems non-standard size here in Russia, so I have to always have the screwdriver that came with the mount, cause otherwise I cannot find a matching one.

2. When the camera is detached, the visor easily comes past the mount base and doesn't contact it. I have a few scratches on the visor from back when I used the standard sticky mount, but now it's safe.
I drilled the mount as written in the instruction, it doesn't allow the visor to fully open when the camera is attached and I do see it in my field of view, but this doesn't really bother me, quickly got used to that.

Personally I don't like how high the Gopro is on any helmet.

Which is why I bought the recently released Sony AS100.

It get's great video, better than the Gopro IMHO. It attaches to a side mount plate sold by Cookie. I can shoot 170 degree or 120 degree should I choose.

I can take the mount off and put on the regular plate with 2 screws in less than 60 seconds.

For me it was a no brainer.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

As much as I also prefer the AS100V over a goPro, it's for different reasons (their profiles as a top mount would be similar)

GoPro can't be effectively side mounted, and the lens deployment would almost always have the visor in the shot even if it could go sideways.

The AS100 has incredible stabilization, even with out the stabilization turned on.
Significantly longer battery life.
Exposure control is faster, smoother, and IMO much better.
In 50Mbps mode, it is a pro's-choice camera.
No housing is needed in rain environments (it can't submerge for long, however, it's only "splash-proof")
The color modes/choices are outstanding.