Rover

HypEye Indicator for Gopro

A friend of mine here in the UK has produced an LED indicator for the GoPro and is currently on the market. Don't know prices or whether he is planning on going commercial properly but they're pretty funky things.

OwenB

I've seen this product, and it's a great idea, the big difference between the Pro-On and the TurnedOn, is the Pro-On only indicated that the device is in record mode (and thats important), the TurnedOn, has three indicators:

Blue for “standby,”
Red for “record”
Yellow for “warning/error

Both good products, one just does more than the other.

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

The HypEye with it's different indicators is the most advanced LED system for a GoPro I have seen. But I went with something a little simpler. My GoPro is now in one button mode, hit the power button and it's instantly recording video. So in single button mode with this plugged into it - http://www.cam-do.com/GoProLED.html I don't have to take my helmet off or ask someone am I blinking? Hit the power button and the LED comes on I know I'm recording.

1001001sos

The HypEye with it's different indicators is the most advanced LED system for a GoPro I have seen. But I went with something a little simpler. My GoPro is now in one button mode, hit the power button and it's instantly recording video. So in single button mode with this plugged into it - http://www.cam-do.com/GoProLED.html I don't have to take my helmet off or ask someone am I blinking? Hit the power button and the LED comes on I know I'm recording.

until you get a NO SD reading and think you recorded the entire jump when really you were just "ON" the entire jump. IF you are using a gopro for tandem video (and many do) with a sweet DSLR or mirrorless on top to show guests you mean business, I suggest you reconsider switching to the TURNED ON system when it becomes available. Just my worthless two pennies :P fun jumps are the best videos when every one's footage starts with someone else staring at the camera and shaking their head yes lol

Doug_Davis

$70+ dollars?

We've been using these for years. Tuck one in a pocket. Use it to look for light or at LCD indicator before going out the door. Problem solved. $4.
http://img.chinamedevice.com/product/903/1449903.jpg

Checking for cavities and loose fillings?

My group is often first out on a low pass (10.5). I need to be recording on the door light, and then getting down to checking the spot and climbing out. I also have other gear to tend to (usually running 3 cameras these days). Pulling out a dental mirror and stuffing it back in a pocket in that time isn't practical for me.

I use the remote now, but one of the problems here is I only know it is running the moment I push record. In freefall I have no idea what's going on, as I can't look at my remote again until I pull.

I'm looking forward to having my Turned On next to my hypeye. Two red lights letting me know, from the door until my slider comes down that I am actually recording.

For my workflow, this, like the hypeye, will be worth every cent.

Also- I was burned by the remote.

My camera had the brilliant problem with the foil sticker shorting out the battery. It would turn on and start recording then it would fail and overheat.

I didn't realize how/when it failed. I lost footage on several jumps, and had no idea I wasn't still recording.

At first I thought it was just the connection between the remote and the gopro was lost. It wasn't until near the end of the day that I realized how many of the videos had dropped. A mirror or even the standard "am I on?" pre jump ritual wouldn't have helped this either. I could have addressed the issue and gone to another camera sooner if I realized how quickly the camera was failing.

I finally posted a video showing the differences between these two systems. Turned On is a status indicator. Everything else just tells the user there is power to the camera. This Comparison Video should clear up all the misconceptions. Trust me, its worth the short wait.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

Doug_Davis

$70+ dollars?

We've been using these for years. Tuck one in a pocket. Use it to look for light or at LCD indicator before going out the door. Problem solved. $4.
http://img.chinamedevice.com/product/903/1449903.jpg

I just glued a piece of reflective plastic on my alti-track. Borrowed the glue and the plastic from a rigged for a total cost of 0$.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

The Grellfab product looks great for limited applications, but given that it won't work for the majority of helmet types, there is room for a wide range of products.
I'd prefer the TurnedOn or similar for most of what I do, simply because proximity of view is typically out of range.