guscabana

New Sony's with Balance Optical Steadyshot and Hypeye

For those who want to get a Sony video with the awesome Balance Optical Steadyshot and be able to use a Hypeye, the new models (Pal: CX610e/PJ530e/PJ540e/PJ610e and NTSC: CX540/PJ540), replacing the CX410/430 are not compatible with the VMC-AVM1 adapter. Only the bigger/heavier/expensive models are (Pal: PJ810e/PJ820e and NTSC: PJ810/PJ820, but on those you need to flip the screen or pull the viewfinder to power it on).
Already bought a second CX410 as a back up before they're all gone...

YMMV, use at your own risk...

Pic1:
* Red Circles: Snipped the tabs in the on zoom control and zoom speed. Set it to W and Off
* Blue Circles: Power and Record buttons.
* Green Lines: External push button mounted in helmet.

Pic 2:
* Pink Line: Postive to LEDs
* Yellow Line: Negative to LED1
* Light Blue Line: Negative to LED2

I used hot glue on all connection points as they are pretty fragile. I then wrapped then entire thing in clear heat shrink to protect it. I reused a spare Hypeye LED indicator. The Hypeye has it's black wire as positive, the red wire as negative for the red LED, and the yellow wire as the negative for the blue LED. I mounted two SPST momentary push buttons for power and record so that they could be quickly accessed while wearing the helmet. You will have to sort our which of the negative LED connections are which because I don't remember off hand. I will post up some pics later of the completed mod.

guscabana

thanks! now we appreciate even more having a ready made hypeye! ;)

No doubt! It's definitely easier to have a ready made product. I've been dabbling it electrical engineering since I was a kid, so hacking the remote wasn't a huge issue. I don't really see many people going this route.

MorfiusX

***thanks! now we appreciate even more having a ready made hypeye! ;)

No doubt! It's definitely easier to have a ready made product. I've been dabbling it electrical engineering since I was a kid, so hacking the remote wasn't a huge issue. I don't really see many people going this route.

Interesting stuff... But the best part of the hype-eye is the indicator lights. I love knowing what my camera is doing.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

MorfiusX

I have an On LED (Blue), a Recording LED (Red), and the flashing red LEDs for when the battery is low. That's pretty much all I really need.

I just picked up a CX430v. It sounds like you're saying that with the adapter it will work with the Hypeye without having to modify anything?