Hovergirl

Sony CX330 for Freefall Video

The cameras are ok, its just you can't control them with the single wired protocol that the HYPEYE uses. Because of the cost of tooling their proprietary connector, developing a new board, reverse engineering their protocol, then coding a new product, I've decided to hold off at this time creating a new HYPEYE for these products. Since most everyone is moving to POV cameras, it just does not make financial sense.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

Thank you for the insights. I think I will just continue with my GoPro.
Which actually poses another question. Most camera persons I see are still using the Sony CX1** series of cameras for recording formation, tandem, etc. Is there a reason they do not used GoPro's. From what I've seen the quality of the GoPro is pretty awesome. I would imagine it has something to do with the focal length of the lens?
Kandace

I think the quality of a gopro 3 is better than any Sony CX1** series, but for working or training, you're used to an steadier image, a hypeye, a big swiwable screen to check the footage on the plane or the ground, a good indicator of battery time remaining and memory, an easy to use osd menu, bigger batteries, etc.
But, nothing is forever... ;)

Hovergirl

Thank you for the insights. I think I will just continue with my GoPro.
Which actually poses another question. Most camera persons I see are still using the Sony CX1** series of cameras for recording formation, tandem, etc. Is there a reason they do not used GoPro's. From what I've seen the quality of the GoPro is pretty awesome. I would imagine it has something to do with the focal length of the lens?
Kandace

Another point is that most are burning to DVD which will take some advantage of the better footage. But you're still down converting from HD - SD so the benefit gained is usually lost in translation so why go through the extra expense. Now if they were making HD blu-rays then you might (only with a trained eye) notice the difference. ;)
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

I'm not sure what you're saying by "DVD takes advantage of better footage." DVD is merely a delivery mechanism that doesn't make video look better nor worse. It just "is."

The benefit of HD isn't at all lost in translation/downconvert to SD, HD-sourced video will always look better played back in SD than SD-sourced video.

To any eye, untrained or trained, watching HD (whether it's Blu-ray or not) vs SD is readily apparent. Now that HD is on its last legs, it's a surprise to see much discussion about SD at all.

The GoPro has a phenomenal image for what it is. It can be tuned (the 3+) to where it is superior to any out of the box palm-corder such as the CX with a poor lens on it (which is what we frequently see in skydiving).
Were it me, I'd continue with the GoPro for casual videography, and even then, I'd tune a GoPro 3+ or a Sony AS100 for team work, tandem work, or 'fancier' skydiving video (and that's exactly what my camera rig will be in 2014, an AS100V).

Thank you all for your time. I really appreciate it.
I have very few camera jumps all with a GoPro. The footage I take is basically just for my enjoyment, but one never knows what the future will bring ;)!
DSE please elaborate on what you mean by "tuned" in regards tithe Hero 3+?
Again I appreciate all of the responses.
Kandace

DSE

The GoPro has a phenomenal image for what it is. It can be tuned (the 3+) to where it is superior to any out of the box palm-corder such as the CX with a poor lens on it (which is what we frequently see in skydiving).
Were it me, I'd continue with the GoPro for casual videography, and even then, I'd tune a GoPro 3+ or a Sony AS100 for team work, tandem work, or 'fancier' skydiving video (and that's exactly what my camera rig will be in 2014, an AS100V).

DSE could you elaborate on "tune" GoPro 3+

Kandace