Jkralovec

Critique my new setup (GoPros)

I'm going to start flying camera this season. I decided not to use my G3 and fly my GAS to feel the wind in my face.

I plan on using the GP3+B for video because the audio is sensational! The GP2 is for stills.

Any suggestions on mounting?

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd118/NavyC4S/IMG_5164.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd118/NavyC4S/IMG_5165.jpg

If you're going to mount to one side or the other, I'd recommend moving to the left vs the right, but otherwise, it's no different/worse than most setups. I'm not a fan of non-chincup systems for tandem video (or other video) because of lacking stability but for casual use, your setup looks fine.

Zlew

May not be the same reason as DSE had in mind, but it is further from your right/pull side. A little less likely to kiss your PC/Bridle if anything if you have PC hesitation or a bad throw.

This is exactly the reason I had in mind. Somewhere here and on Vimeo, I've posted a video of a PC coming back and slapping a GoPro. not that right/left makes a huge difference, but all it may take is a "small" difference between a good day and a bad day.

When I only run 1 camera, I use my left mount. I had a piss poor throw a few years ago and got slapped in the face by my pc. No snags....but it got my attention.

Your current 17 camera tower of power may not follow shift to the left plan very easily :). You are much more brave than I am sir.

Though I've never had a PC "incident" I am aware that it is possible. I attempted to point all of the mounting screws or anything snaggable toward the inside. But lets be real here, all GoPros or cameras in general are snaggable.

Thanks for the opinions. I do like how light my setup is and how it is more or less set it and forget it for the duration of the jump.

Your current 17 camera tower of power may not follow shift to the left plan very easily :). You are much more brave than I am sir.

Not really you have to remember one major point, those are all very small cameras, hardly weight anything and besides that, they just sit there, I mean it's not like he is doing any real work to be distracted from. Also with them being so small, non distracting and mounted proper.... their not a snag hazard.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

stratostar

Not really you have to remember one major point, those are all very small cameras, hardly weight anything and besides that, they just sit there, I mean it's not like he is doing any real work to be distracted from. Also with them being so small, non distracting and mounted proper.... their not a snag hazard.

You forgot to use the sarcasm font. :P

OP... I'm not a fan of the GoPro mounts because they stick up so high. That being said, what if you put both cameras in the center with one forward and lower. Top and Front? And, be aware of parallax when you set everything up.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

if you can figure out how to mount 17 (really 18) cameras top bottom over each other and have them fit a stable platform, I'm all ears. Several of us tried. It weakened the overall concept.
And yes, they're carefully mounted in a way to remove as much snag point as possible. On first or ignorant glance, it may appear otherwise, but the truth is, it's less of a snag hazard than most of the significantly heavier, larger setups I've jumped for commercial work.

Your helmet is so LAST WEEK!

If you were as smart/fashionable as me, you would have bought the newest and shiniest GoPro Hero 6 helmet.
I got mine with the yamulka and full ear coverage and the Google visor.
The yamulka ensured that my $47 hair cut did not get mussed.
The full ear covers cranked FULL quadrophonic sound all the way down.
The Google visor had the full GPS-linked, IR-assisted, synthetic vision, so that even though I had never jumped Treetop before, and it was night and foggy, I still did a tip-toe landing. I was a bit annoyed that I missed the tuffet - on the football pitch - by 4 cm! Hopefully they will fix that glitch on the 2.0 software.
Best, thing, the Google vision also works backwards. My buddies were able to track my entire dive - with the POV camera - without even rising out of their chairs in the Tree Top Pub.
... my buddy Bill tried to rise from his chair, but he was so deep into his cups that he fell over!
Hah!
Hah!

One thing that no one mentioned yet is your kill line on your slider. Just be cautious that it does not go between the two cameras. Perhaps just a small piece of gaffers tape?

I personally had my chop-line for my RDS loop around one of my two gopros one day. Gave me a chill for a half a second while I cleared it.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC