4dbill

3 axis gimbal for helmet?

I have not jumped awhile since I am away overseas, but I still come pop in here once in awhile to see what everybody else is up to.
With all the advancements in video technology, I am surprised to see that none of you have tried mounting a 3 axis gimbal system on your helmet yet.
Sure, it’s not practical, but the footage would be spectacularly smooth in certain angles, much like National Geography helicopter shots.
The system they make for GoPro is relatively small. If the whole set-up is covered with some kind of clear dome, it might work. The brushless motors can probably handle the normal vibration during freefall with a bit of tweaking of the controller programming, or am I being overly optimistic?

Thoughts?

4DBill
4dbill.com

I tried designing one for my flattop pro 2 years ago. I tried active damping using first high speed steppers then brushless motors using a high current controller. I used an arduino with a sparkfun embedded gyro. I never managed to jump it but it became abundantly clear is that it's not as easy a task as you would assume.

Even small movements over-corrected make the video jiggly. I gave up quickly. Not enough hours in the day. Ultimately my idea was to build a platform for my RC helicopter but the quad-rotors really started "taking off" with chinese stabilizers on crap cameras so there was no point.

-Michael

The sample footage from the motorcycle ride sucks. The whole point of 3 axis gimbal is to get impossibly smooth shots, and the footage provided by the Kickstarter guy is unviewable, thus unusable.
There are some amazing silky shots from drones mounted 3 axis gimbal cameras. It's all over the web.
I would love to see some of you guys/ladies try creating your own for skydiving. The parts are relatively cheap nowadays.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/RC_PRODUCT_SEARCH.asp?strSearch=gimbal+gopro

4DBill

Here is a link to direct from China buying and the prices: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/hobbies-and-toys/multicopter/gimbal-camera-mount.html

I've thought about getting a drone to fly for fun and a gimbal but prices are falling so I am holding out for a little longer.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com