jimradzik

New DZ needs to set up video editing.... Help!

Howdy camera pros! New DZ needs set up for video editing for tandems. Where do we start? We have a number of video flyers all using Sony cx100 or cx150, and canon stills, and we have just been giving raw footage to tandems. Getting busier, getting better, time to step up. Looking for opinions, recommendations, or will compensate for consultation and training. Help!

This is exactly what VASST does, with approximately 100 DZ's around the world using our automated systems.
I am one of the partners in VASST. We conceptualized and developed automated systems for broadcast, and developed same systems for tandem skydiving operations (as well as other "adventure experience" concessions).

The automation DSE talks about is nice, and I'm sure there are lots of hardware/software suggestions out there.

Things that might influence what you end up with-

What type of output are you looking for (DVD/CDR/thumb drive, youtube)?
SD or HD output?
How many are you looking at doing per day?
How quickly do you want to get the product to the customer?
How important is the output being similar/consistent across video guys?
Video guys doing their own editing?
Budget?

The workflow piece can be as important as the hardware/software. Many places have a specific series (and number) of clips they shoot for a given video, and that then becomes step one for the editing automation.

You could do something really simple in basic editing software by add a title of some sort...music over the freefall and a few basic transitions. To getting powerful software and hardware combos to give a polished product with quick turn arounds.

We use sony vegas at our dropzone and have recently started using swoopware that is incorporated into vegas.

After setting everything up you plug in your cameras and swoopware does the rest.

It takes sometime to setup, but I'm glad we made the switch. Takes about 5-10 minutes to burn stills/videos. (using cx cameras)

If interested you can pm me

+1. Once it's setup it's easy street! Another bonus is you can have multiple templates, and adding slow motion is a breeze. To me that helps avoid sending out 'cookie cutter' videos.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

DSE's set up is sweet. Other nice ones include Swoopware and Perigrine Video from Perris Valley. Doug and the guy from Peregrine are always at PIA and seems to have it dialed in.

These are the way to go if you don't have time to devote to learning and paying for an editor. In my opinion, hiring a local college kid who knows NLE is a waste of time.

Peregrine has a pay for video option. Basically $1 per video I think, and all editing is done via internet.

Or…go with raw footage. We did that for a whole season while we were in between decisions.

Giving out raw video footage is a bad idea for the DZ and in-turn for the video guys working there. Why and how a video guy gets to shoot video without the knowledge of editing is beyond me. Someone should at least be working it out. With YouTube and Sony tutorials, plus plenty of video to format something by it's a week's worth of work learning... Swoopware is a very viable option and Mick (the skydiver who wrote the code) would sell you a laptop that is rigged up and ready to go. Put an empty disk in and plug in your sd cards, go pack and come back to a burnt DVD with stills on board...
Can you picture this, Hay Joe look what I done this weekend check it out,, he puts in his raw footage and wind blast the living room, then Joe says, Man you been had, check out what I did two weekends ago and he puts in a 1st class video edited and spit shined and plays the raw dz a bad rep before they even get to get things going... You should get your shit together before you take a persons money, if not for their benefit, then for the good of the sport... That's my opinion.
The end result is directly connected to the effort applied

There was a time before Sandy Bridge when HD cameras were the rage but processors couldn't handle them. We offered Raw as an easy way to "self edit". And…you could put your own music on while we had to stick to royalty free stuff. So they weren't getting raw without an explanation. They could choose edited but it would have to be mailed.

We do use Swoopware now and yes it comes out nice. However lots of people are requesting raw now so they can Vine it and manipulate it the way they want. We put it on a thumb drive for them.

wow, we have had a few request for raw footage along with the DVD but we don't give it out as a rule. Special jumps like TV shows and a red bull tandem every now and then will request the raw sometimes, I always make an agreement that we see whats edited before its aired and give them a DVD of the skydive so they can follow our format..(except the red bull guys) These are not my rules, they were established before me and I'm sure for good reason.
We have a mailout system that is very handy and many of the customers like not having to wait, I always tell them we will upload to youtube as soon as completed and shoot them a link, that is all most of them really want... We do still try and hand them a video and encourage them to watch it before they leave.
That way we can proof it too, read the costumers as they watch and question them on what they liked best.. the information is priceless
I'm glad you got swoopware up and running, I was going to come shoot and edit video for ya till someone cough on :)

Peace:

Getting it together is why I asked the pros in this forum. It looks like swoopware will be the program we go with. I have been soliciting the help of an IT to get it started. I thought it best to load it on a desk top that will be a permanent fixture at the dz, and live longer than the average laptop. Thanks for the opinions and advice. We were not charging for the raw footage above the slot for the camera flyer. We are looking forward to offering a high quality video.

I hear you, :) The desktop was my choice as well. At our DZ we have only what we as skydivers can afford at the time, nothing but advertising is covered, at one time if the Plane ever had to wait or a Tandem that wanted video did not get we lost advertisement. Thank god that never happened but it was hard pressed at times to say the least.. Today our DZO has a different take on things and we are doing better as a whole. From my take on things it sounds like you guys are going to do well...