skydiveoc

Sony mirror less

Hey guys,

Would like to pick one of these up for ground shots, landing shots. Looking for ease of use, widest lens, good burst rate, reasonable in price, good, not best, quality image. Wont be used in the air.

DSE: I can't remember if u use an NEX or A5000??

Thanks

I use an NEX5 in freefall (for some video). I use a 7D or a 60D for stills.

hard to beat the NEX or the new Samsungs for quality/price/speed. I like the Sony because of the lens options, and because I can adapt almost anything to it.

The NEX 5TL does not work with Trunks Multi Terminal port but Sony just launched a new mirrorless camera and I think (confirm with Trunk) that it would work the adapter.

The new mirrorless has the 'worlds fastest auto focus' and can shoot at 11 fps :)

I am going to look into this camera more since my 5TL did not work.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/live-coverage-sony-a6000-officially-announced/

Greetings.

My a6000 arrived yesterday B| which was a bonus as wasn't expecting it until the middle of April. It is blisteringly quick and on my first quick view seems to definitely support Sony's claims. Should have the helmet and switch within a week or so (I wanted to get the measurements bang on) so will report back on how well the remote functionality works with the multi port.

Happy days. :)
Gib

Gib78

Greetings.

My a6000 arrived yesterday B| which was a bonus as wasn't expecting it until the middle of April. It is blisteringly quick and on my first quick view seems to definitely support Sony's claims. Should have the helmet and switch within a week or so (I wanted to get the measurements bang on) so will report back on how well the remote functionality works with the multi port.

Happy days. :)
Gib

Are you using it for stills? How do you rig up a bite/blow/tongue switch to it?

Can you give some more info on the setup you are using? Is it the kit lens or are you using something else?

I recently got ahold of an A6000 with a 10-18 and a 35 prime but the 2.5mm adapters were on backorder and I haven't had a chance to really jump it yet. I did one test sunset jump but the light was pretty terrible since it was close to dark and there was a lot of noise. This is my first real(ish) camera and I've got a lot to learn.

Just wondering what your experience has been so far and if you've found a group of settings that work really well.

Sorry Guys

The camera is great but hasn't been jumped yet as the cable I had for the bite switch was faulty and the useless post service have lost it when I sent it back to the states for a replacement. Hoping to have a replacement cable within a week or so as can't wait to jump it. Will post with pics when I do so . Even without jumping it yet, this camera really does rule.

Gib

Sorry just seen the other messages. I don't jump in the UK as I live in Germany.

With regards to Lenses, I had a great Chat with the awesome Gustav Cabana while in Empuriabrava and he brought to my attention the following which I have on order

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1039948-REG/rokinon_rk12m_e_12mm_f_2_0_ncs_cs.html

Note this is manufactured by Samyang but depending on your own country, may be branded as Walimex (Germany) Vivitar, Prakticar, Rokinon (USA), Bower und Pro-Optic. These are all the same thing built by the same company to the same standards

Setting information likely to come after I have jumped it a bit (I'm pretty new at this too) And I can share anything useful I find. Others here will no doubt be able to give you much more useful info than me,advice which I am more than happy to receive.

Hope this helps.

Blues

Gib

I'm interested to hear how that lens works for you. I was worried about not having auto-focus or stabilization which is why I went for the 10-18. Although I wasn't terribly happy with it's ridiculous price tag.

I've had a chance to jump it for the past couple of weekends and I've found that with 11fps I really need to stop shooting at everything because so far I've ended up with 10K+ pictures. But it does miss focus every so often so having a long series to choose from is nice.

Not sure if this will help but so far I've been using shutter priority at around 1/1000 depending on how bright it is. And I set the auto-iso range from 100-3200. If it's closer to the end of the day I'll bump up the lower end and slow down the shutter since the camera seems to always seems to want to settle on iso 100 if it can. Depending on what kind of jump I'm doing I'll set focus to wide (wingsuit stuffs) or center (tandem or 2-way stuffs). I also use continuous auto-focus and vivid picture mode. I definitely still have some work to do on settings and form but the pictures have been pretty decent so far.

Here's a shot from this past weekend. I had to resize it way down for attachment so it's not the best quality.

If there's anyone with more experience that's been using this camera and wants to suggest some other settings to play with I'm all ears.

DSE

you might toss an ND filter on there to help keep the shutter down a bit.
Loving this camera myself.

Are you using it for stills. If so what lens? And how do you like it?

I'm considering it for tandems. Yes?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

So my A6000 is ready for action, Fuck Yeah!

Setup is a Tonfly 4x holing a Sony A6000 with Rokinon/Walimex/Samsang 12 mm connected to a Hypeye Bite switch with custom made multiterminal to 2.5mm cable by exit composites (Thanks Martin /User Name on here raceface) . It sat next to a Sony PJ810 with Custom made wide angle lens courtesy of the legend that goes by the name Gustavo (Username GusCabana on here).

Not jumped it yet (this weekend hopefully) but have taken the a6000 with 12mm around the streets of Cologne, but I have no idea how to turn a 7mb picture into the 1mb (??) allowed on here. If anyone can tell me how that would be awesome and I can post a few pics.

Did I say Fuck yeah already?

Gib

:)B|

Awesome, please put up a pic of your setup B|B|

I really am keen to get the A6000 once I get the spare cash.

FYI there is a rumor of Sony launching a Full Frame mirrorless which will cost around $1000. No EVF but who cares if you using it for skydiving... If the autofocus is as good as the A6000 I'm keen :)
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/ft2-super-compact-full-frame-e-mount-to-be-anounced-at-photokina/

Greetings all.

Right as promised here are a few pics from the A6000, skydiving and otherwise. I hope I've not resized them too small. I have been asked for a comparison between the 12mm and standard 16-50, so have included that too on one photo. UV filter used . Settings wise left camera on auto and infinite focus on 12mm. Yes, I know I am far away for some shots but told the teams I jumped with to do their thing and I'll stay out their way :)
Love this Camera.

Gib