melushell

Best video department???

Like many other things, probably Skydive Dubai these days.

Outside of that, perhaps Skydive Elsinore in terms of modern, fast post gear with a separate production room just for video that isn't shared with other things, that can manage anything from Arriraw to RED, to all the non-standard (and standard) codecs.

There likely is another DZ out there that has a production geek like me with a Symphony, Composer, or some other stupid tool that doesn't belong on a DZ.B|

For camera operators...Joe Jennings is a busy guy, he's an "everywhere" man but seems to be mostly at Elsinore, and Perris. Craig O'Brien is at Perris, and Norman Kent is at Deland. All three are shooting RED, Greg is at Eloy/travels and shooting ArriAlexa. Between those four, you've covered the bulk of the production shooting happening in the USA.

Why do you ask?

DSE

Why do you ask?

My curiosity was to find a best practice DZ and understand what sets them apart.

And like you mentioned, there must be a small dz out there might have something cool running at their place, so I am hoping people will start bragging about it ;)

I have not seen a lot of DZ's but I agree that Skydive Dubai's video dept is top in terms of gear and content output. Having a dedicated video department, full-time editors, top non linear systems puts them "above the rest".

Though having all the bells and whistles does not necessarily make you the best in the game.

melushell

Why do you ask?

My curiosity was to find a best practice DZ and understand what sets them apart.

And like you mentioned, there must be a small dz out there might have something cool running at their place, so I am hoping people will start bragging about it ;)

I have not seen a lot of DZ's but I agree that Skydive Dubai's video dept is top in terms of gear and content output. Having a dedicated video department, full-time editors, top non linear systems puts them "above the rest".

Tough having all the bells and whistles does not necessarily make you the best in the game.

I think you meant "though having...."?
This is true, however a DZ that has these things bought them in anticipation of significant recoupment revenue. Elsinore has full-time video staff, top non-linear as well, not to mention my personal Avid system parked there for the past two years. "If you build it (in the right area) they will come."

Pope has done a great job building the program at Dubai. I'd like to think I've done the same at Elsinore. And again, I'm sure there are a couple small DZ's out there with great capabilities, but they're probably based around the personal gear of local professionals.
For example, there is a guy with a RED and a supercharged AVID system at a very small dropzone in the Mountain Region. He's also a multi-Emmy winning editor/compositor.