padraigbrowne

New action cam model from Sony , AS100V

Here's a 8 way RW jump shot on an AS100V at 1080p, 60fps, MP4 format, on natural color setting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m80VxQd_8ys

Top mounted on my old Rawa using supplied sticky mount from Sony.

I need to pick up a faster memory card so I can try out the XAVC-S mode. A trip to Fry's is in order I think.

Also, the remote view/control app for the iPhone over wifi is pretty neat. I'm guessing it's a battery killer though; I probably should pick up an extra one of those too. :D

NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Didnt you get the Live remote view?

I bought it when it came out and works like a charm! I love it!

I also picked up some extra batteries.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CyberShot-DSC-HX50V-DSC-HX300-DSC-RX100-DSC-RX100MII/dp/B00FFZUI7U

This guys work like a charm and costed me 8 euros :)
"I don´t stop when I am tired. I stop when I am done"

Still working on it.
5 scenes, 18 cameras, a variety of factors...it's a big article. It'll appear first here on dropzone.com.

I still have the super slow motion comparisons to shoot as well, but that'll be done in a day or so.
THanks for the patience!

This question is for anybody.

When you use the wifi to a smart phone controller can you actually control the playback on the camera like a remote.

I'd like to hook it up to a tv via HDMI and then control the start - stop - rewind - slow etc via the smart phone if possible.

Any one know about this? Am I asking for too much?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

DSE: Outstanding work you have done. Thank you a lot and jumping with these 17 cameras, that is something! Best review there has been and i believe will be :)

About side mount: I have seen 3 side mount types so far for Sony AS100 camera (the all work for AS15/30 models too).

1) Using Cookie Actioncam Sleeve - perfectly fits AS30, but a bit too large for AS100 model, however with small adjustment i made it fit perfectly. http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/sony-action-cam-sleeve.
PROS: very slim fit, close to helmet.
CONS: a little too large for AS100 model, small adjustments needed
Best solution on my opinion

2) Using Ball Head Mount for Action Cam (from offical Sony Actioncam accesories)
http://store.sony.com/ball-head-mount-for-action-cam-zid27-ADPBH1/cat-27-catid-All-Camcorders-Action-Cam-Accessories;pgid=rQxG8Dt3k1FSRpn4WJi_LTdN0000ji4afq1y;sid=6omAiBX5doafiEaEOGXwjI3zhcXF-dzCpEwbi3Sb?_t=pfm%3Dcategory
CONS: A little too far from helmet on my opinion, leaves gap between helmet and camera. Harder to trasport camera with such side-mount, because it easy to accidentaly change the aim of camera.
PROS: Easy to mount - just one screw. Easy to buy.

3) Custom made L form shape aluminium plate
CONS: Cheap, available in cosntruction shops, and very slim fit.
PROS: Personally i don't like metalic parts on my camera setup on side mounts, however if you carefuly take out sharp corners and have helmet cutaway, this solution maybe very good too.

Currently i have only one picture, you can see 2) and 3) solutions here:
[inline IMG_2170_colr_sm.jpg]

I will make more detailed photos of each side mount type this weekend on dropzone and will post them.
The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness
http://adventure.lv/

mcstain

Would this be suitable? http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/sony-action-cam-sleeve

The description mentions the G3 and Fuel but doesn't specifically indicate that it would work for the Ozone.

I'm not familiar with the Ozone but I have that same mount for my G2.

Cookie came out with that mount for the AS15 which was a bigger camera. Then the AS30 came out which was a bit smaller but the mount still worked. Now the AS100 is smaller still, but the mount still works albeit plenty of room in there.

I have the AS100. I bought it April 1 (almost as soon as it was available). The camera is awesome. I love it. It is so easy to operate and it fits well inside that Cookie mount. The video image is superior to anything else I've seen.

I have it on good authority that Cookie does not have plans to make a new G2/G3 mount just for this camera.

I really see no reason that it wouldn't work on the Ozone.

mattjw916

Here's a 8 way RW jump shot on an AS100V at 1080p, 60fps, MP4 format, on natural color setting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m80VxQd_8ys

Top mounted on my old Rawa using supplied sticky mount from Sony.

I need to pick up a faster memory card so I can try out the XAVC-S mode. A trip to Fry's is in order I think.

Also, the remote view/control app for the iPhone over wifi is pretty neat. I'm guessing it's a battery killer though; I probably should pick up an extra one of those too. :D

Did you shoot that in 170 degree setting or 120 degree?

Guys, the cameras are all the same size.
The HOUSINGS changed sizes, similar to how GoPro slimmed theirs down. No one really needed to take their POV cameras to 600+' below the surface.
But the INSIDE of the housings are all the same.
The best thing about the new housings, is that the side buttons are available from the OUTSIDE of the housing. LOVING that.
The Sony clipmount can also be modified to work as a side-mount, but the other third party solutions are superior, IMO.

DSE

Guys, the cameras are all the same size.
The HOUSINGS changed sizes, similar to how GoPro slimmed theirs down. No one really needed to take their POV cameras to 600+' below the surface.
But the INSIDE of the housings are all the same.
The best thing about the new housings, is that the side buttons are available from the OUTSIDE of the housing. LOVING that.
The Sony clipmount can also be modified to work as a side-mount, but the other third party solutions are superior, IMO.

So the waterproof housing got slimmer? I didn't know that.

But then that's what you're here for..... right.

TGF DSE........yay!

mcstain

The only thing I can find on this issue is Chuting Star suggesting that the Ozone can only be top mounted: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3567604

Have shot them an email to confirm.

Do you have an Ozone now?

It sure looks like that mount would fit nicely on the right side of that helmet on the flat spot. It's best on the right side anyway.

Skydivesg

It sure looks like that mount would fit nicely on the right side of that helmet on the flat spot. It's best on the right side anyway.

I do have an Ozone already. My worry is that there aren't any really true flat spots on the helmet. If you're referring to the section over the ear (see attached picture), it's not really flat from memory (but I'd have to check my helmet to be sure).

Wouldn't a left hand side mount be less likely to snag the PC/bridle on deployment?

mcstain

I do have an Ozone already. My worry is that there aren't any really true flat spots on the helmet. If you're referring to the section over the ear (see attached picture), it's not really flat from memory (but I'd have to check my helmet to be sure).

Wouldn't a left hand side mount be less likely to snag the PC/bridle on deployment?

I'm actually not very familiar with the Ozone.

If you're concerned about the snag hazard then don't do it.

I've have a pretty aggressive throw on my p/c and I can't remember the last time I ever had to deploy without being rock solid stable.

Frankly, if you're concerned about your main p/c or bridle snagging with something on your helmet the you're not ready to jump any camera.

Based on your jump numbers - why are you in a hurry to put any snag hazard on your head?

Skydivesg

I've have a pretty aggressive throw on my p/c and I can't remember the last time I ever had to deploy without being rock solid stable.

Frankly, if you're concerned about your main p/c or bridle snagging with something on your helmet the you're not ready to jump any camera.

Based on your jump numbers - why are you in a hurry to put any snag hazard on your head?

I figured that would be the reaction I would get with my low jump numbers. I'm not in a hurry to put a snag hazard on my head - I'm the kind of person to over-research anything and everything before I go ahead and make a decision. From the time I decided I wanted to get into skydiving it was two years before I made my first jump. I'm just looking into cameras now as I'm toying with the idea of a full face helmet. If I can't mount a camera on my Ozone it would influence my decision.

In regards to snag hazards, I accept that all cameras are a risk, but my question still stands: given that we toss out a PC on the right hand side, wouldn't it be at least slightly less likely to present a snag hazard if the camera was mounted on the left? You mentioned that it was best to mount a camera on the right hand side. Why is that?

mcstain

mcstain

I figured that would be the reaction I would get with my low jump numbers. I'm not in a hurry to put a snag hazard on my head - I'm the kind of person to over-research anything and everything before I go ahead and make a decision. From the time I decided I wanted to get into skydiving it was two years before I made my first jump. I'm just looking into cameras now as I'm toying with the idea of a full face helmet. If I can't mount a camera on my Ozone it would influence my decision.

In regards to snag hazards, I accept that all cameras are a risk, but my question still stands: given that we toss out a PC on the right hand side, wouldn't it be at least slightly less likely to present a snag hazard if the camera was mounted on the left? You mentioned that it was best to mount a camera on the right hand side. Why is that?

I mentioned the right side because the mount from Cookie is better suited for the right side and the control buttons (AS100) are on the right side of the camera.

If your numbers are correct (are they?) - then based on those, if you wait the recommended amount of time and jump numbers then the AS 100 will likely be out of date and very possibly a new version, a new Cookie helmet and new mounts may very well be available.

When you say the right side is less likely to present a snag hazard are you accounting for the many people who choose to use a left hand throw out p/c?

Skydivesg

I mentioned the right side because the mount from Cookie is better suited for the right side and the control buttons (AS100) are on the right side of the camera.

Ok thanks, that makes sense.

If your numbers are correct (are they?) - then based on those, if you wait the recommended amount of time and jump numbers then the AS 100 will likely be out of date and very possibly a new version, a new Cookie helmet and new mounts may very well be available.

In Australia the requirement to wear a camera is a C license, which can be obtained after a minimum of 100 jumps. I'm not saying I'm going to strap a camera on for my 101st jump, but I don't think it's totally inconceivable that the AS100 would still be a current model once I start looking for a camera.

When you say the right side is less likely to present a snag hazard are you accounting for the many people who choose to use a left hand throw out p/c?

Let me clarify - I am asking whether mounting the camera on the same side as your PC throw increases the chances of a snag compared to mounting it on the opposite side.

mcstain

Let me clarify - I am asking whether mounting the camera on the same side as your PC throw increases the chances of a snag compared to mounting it on the opposite side.

It's actually quite simple. Yes.

Every time you add anything to your gear; cameras, ring sights, slider ties, etc (hell even a wrist mount altimeter), you are increasing the odds that you may have an entanglement with your deploying main or reserve, lines or pilot chute.

It's important that you do everything possible to mitigate these risks. It's also important to be certain that the rewards outweigh the risks. Too many people don't really understand the risks and don't have the experience to remain calm during a dicy situation.

This is why some of us more experienced people say the things we do to those who are less expereinced. It's not that we don't want you to have the fun the rest of us are having, it's just that we want you to survive the fun.

For me, I've carried my share of people on backboards and stretchers to the waiting ambulance and more than my share from the hearse to the grave site.

Many of these people just didn't want to hear what I had to say.

Skydivesg

The only thing I can find on this issue is Chuting Star suggesting that the Ozone can only be top mounted: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3567604

Have shot them an email to confirm.

looking at the pics on cookies website, it looks like they designed it to be on the left side away fromthe bridle/pc. i am still looking for other side mount options for the g3 if anyone has any other ideas.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

This system could replace the standard hypeye/CS series camera for tandems, yes.
IMO, pull the lens protector off the housing, and/or come up with another way to cover it. Also IMO, add an ND filter to it for even better image (same comment for most cameras)